Abu Garcia Silver Max (controls)

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by goshawk, Sep 21, 2009.

1. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I'm very new to bait casters and someone gave me a new Abu Garcia Silver max, but the reel did not have a user manual. I have some simple questions

There are four things that can turn on the reel (it's a left hand reel). Obviously the Large handle is to reel in the line and located with that is the drag wheel. Got that.

Next there is the anti-backlash magnet on the opposite side of the reel with a min and max setting. From what I understand that should be adjusted so that the weight of the bait / line is that it should fall slowly. On the opposite side of the magnet control is a round cap looking thing that I believe also controls the spinning of the spool. I am guessing when adjusting the spool, you use the cap like control on the handle side first, then use the magnet control for the fine tweaking of the spool.

Lastly there is a small black knob that seems to be connected to a single bar that passes to the other side of the reel and above the spool. I am guessing that has to do with opening the reel up for lubrication or something.

2. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    The anti-backlash magnet you speak of is a centrifugal brake. If you're back lashing BEFORE the bait hits the water on a cast, increase this. The spool is spinning faster than the line can peel off of it. I set mine to about 50% to start with. If you notice casting distance is greatly effected, back off a bit. If you notice the line on the spool looks "loose" during your cast, tighten it up a bit.

The knob under the reel handle is the spool tension. Hold your rod up with your rig on. Release the spool and let the rig fall to the ground. You want to adjust this to where the spool stops spinning as soon as the rig hits the ground. I tend to go slightly more loose and use my thumb to stop the spool when the hits the water.

The knobs that go through the reel just fasten the thing together. Keep them tight.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009

3. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    The cap on the handle side is you spool tension control. this is what you adjust the rate the line feeds out with your lure or bait attached. you want a slow drop and the spool to stop when the weight touches the floor or ground. As you get better, you can loosen this up and achieve some more casting difference, but you need to learn the basics first.
    The control with the "Min" & "Max" is the magnetic brake. This slows the spool on initial cast and throughout the cast. The higher it is set, the more braking you have. You may still need to stop the spool with you thumb when the lure or bait reaches full cast distance and it starts to drop to the water. It depends on several factors such as the speed you are casting at and the setting of the brake.
    Practice is the key. The other knob you refer to, I'm guessing is one of the takedown screws to disassemble the reel.
    Getting together with someone who fishes a baitcast would be your greatest help in learning to cast one.
    Hope this helps.

4. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia