Abu garcia rod and reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by santeecat12, Apr 12, 2007.

1. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    i am getting a abu garcia 6500 on a 9 ft catmaxx rod and i want to know if that is a good set up cause i am hoping to go carp and cat fishing and i want to catch some pretty big ones around 20 to 25 pounds and is that a good setup for something that big...and any questions or answers would be greatly appreciated

btw i hope you can help me...thanks

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I have that same set-up. My catmaxx is a 9' MH casting.I have the 6500 spooled with 30# Big Game Electric Blue. I'm gonna be targetting the biggest fish that live in the Mighty Ohio river with this set-up. I haven't used it yet but I love the way it feels.I'll let you know when I finally get out to use it but I'd say you'll have no problems with it!

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Harley the equipment you mentioned will do the job for you. Add some Berkley Big Game line ( 20-30) pound test and you are ready to go. Don't forget the bait and always use a lifevest.Good Luck on your first trip and be sure and take a few pictures.:lol: :smile2:

4. fishallday927

fishallday927 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hit the water bro ur set for any fish that comes ur way:0a24: :0a23: :big_smile_2:

5. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Sic 'em! That'll do the job, buddy.

6. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    With that setup you should deal both species a great deal of misery. Be advised, carp are wily fish and are tough to catch.

7. KSflatheadKING3511

KSflatheadKING3511 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    hey santee how much did all that cost??? i'm on a tight budget right now LOL! i am getting ready to head up to our local cabelas and get me a new rod/reel combo and need some advice!!!

Ryan

8. pokechoke

pokechoke New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the info