abu garcia reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by nitemare_63, Dec 2, 2008.

1. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    question on garcia baitcaster reels.. the number the give to each reel like 5500, 5600, 6000,6500 and so on, is the bigger the number the bigger the reel or in general?????

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Yes Dustin! The larger the number the bigger the reel size. I don't know if there are exceptions to this but I'm sure other members will chime in if there are!

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the bigger the first # the bigger the reel the other #s denote extras # of bearings left or right hand ect.

4. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  5. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    another question to garcia reel people. what is the best size garcia baitcaster reel for targeting cats around 50lbs or so???????

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    If you are fishin' deep water and need extra line capacity, the 7000 series is a good choice. Here on the Pee Dee where I fish, is mostly shallow, and 6500s work quite nicely. You CAN"T go wrong with Abu Garcia, whichever model you choose.
    Bill in SC

7. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I have 5600, 6000, 6500, and 7000 that I use for catfishing. Like Bill said you can't go wrong with abu garcia. They are favored with alot of Boc members.

8. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yepper,,
    I like and use both the 6500c3, and 70000000000000's:eek:oooh:

I like the louder clicker on the 7000 series.. Prolly just my ears!! :big_smile:

I use a lot of other stuff also, but, seem to "go to" the 7000's more.:wink:
    I use a spectrum of different line on them, I've got a couple of 6500's that I have 12# mono on, and use them for casting for bass and such, also, light channel catfishing.
    One 6500 with 30 # mono, for anything, mostly live bait Flatcats.
    Use 30# - 50# mono on a couple of my 7000, Also have a couple that I have 65#-80# Braid-Power Pro, on,. Just the way things ended up. It all works!!
    Most of the 6500's are on 7' 1 piece M-MH rods, I think one is 6'6"
    Most of the 7000's are on 1 piece 7" rods, M-MH rated up to 50#. I have a couple of 2 piece rods about 8"6"-9"..

Some heavy spinning tackle w/ Daiwa reels, on 10-11" rods.. I use occassionally.

Hmm, Maybe I should get rid of some of this stuff.....:roll_eyes:

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Reels don't do the work; rods do. All your reel does is take up line. :wink:

An Abu Garica 6500 will handle any catfish in North America. :wink:

10. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

I sure am glad they have drags:smile2: If not the BIG BOYS would spool ya and might just :big_smile:snap them rods like toothpicks

11. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    I'm with the rest of 'em 6500 will handle the job or go with a 7000 if ya need lots of line.

Joe

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The 6000 and 6500 are both the same size...You will get a little more casting distance with the 6500 as it has a bearing on each end of the shaft, the 6000 has a bushing on one end.

Both are good reels, and I would not go smaller, the 45-lb flathead in my avitar was caught on a 6500 with 25-lb mono, and the reel brought the fish in just fine.

The abu 7000 is also a fine reel and it holds more line, but I just cant get the casting distance out of them I need.

13. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    A lot of members favor the 6500 series, and seems to be the most popular model in general.

14. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thanks for the help guys and keep them coming ill take all the info i can... a little off subject but can someone explain to me about gear ratio's??? like 5:3:1 and some are 3:0:1, 4:3:1.... i think i know a little like the bigger the first number the faster the retreave i think but can someone explain me the rest and why there are 3 numbers??????

15. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    I prefer the 7000 and 10.0000 hold lots of line Like the cranking handles:wink: