abu garcia reels for catfish

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by switchback, Jul 30, 2008.

1. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    There is a website that you can go to called catfish connection and they have a good veriety of abus just for catfishing. They even have one with a catfish engraved on the side. The actual store is located in Pana Illinois. take the store name and add . com to it and there is there website

2. RandyS

RandyS New Member

State:
    Pa
    I was at Cabela's today, and if they would have had the ambassadeur 550cs ther I would have bought it. I'll have to buy it on line.

3. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Abu garcia to me is the best reel out there. One of my friends went to bass pro at st louis and they tried to tell him they wer junk. I have five ambassaduers and three cardinals, I fsih more than most and try to keep my stuff in good shape but sometimes i get alittle rough on them and they hold up great plus like i put in another post you can send them into abugarcia at pure fishing in iowa and they take real good care of you .

4. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Yes abu makes a fine reel and catfish connection a long time former sponsor of the BOC is unbeatable in price and service, just never have figured out hows come they dont sponsor the BOC anymore :embarassed: there the BEST:wink:

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Reps to you switchback for promoting the "best" reels for the buck out there! I am in 100% agreement with you. I have two of the 'Blue Cat' 6500s from Catfish Connection. Great reels! I also have an old 5500 that will still pull 'em in just fine. Also two 6000s that are great, and a 6500TC that has been flawless thus far. Hope to add eight more Abu Garcias in the future!
    Bill in SC

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    You can't go wrong with catfish connection. I buy 90% of my fishing gear from them. They have excellent service and fast delivery. To save on shipping try to buy as much stuff as you need at a time. Can't go wrong with an ABU reel either.

7. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    NOW,NOW,NOW!!! Lets remember this very important fact:It is the bait that catches fish,not the reel. Hell,the fish can't see or smell the reel from underwater. But,Abu Garcia does make good reels,but so do alot of others.

8. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    the bait might catch the fish but the reel has to bring em in and I have had a few reels not do the job but so far abu has always done the job

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    supprized this is still here. i mentioned them and another former sponser a while back and my posts were edited or pulled. yes. i live 1 hour from there. and make yearly trips to stock up on stuff. i can almost drive as chep as shipping now days.

they chose to withdraw sponsership from my understanding.:sad2:

that cat reel is called the trophy series. and they have one now thats blue. and i believe its an exclusive. you cannot get it anywhere else.

10. cathunter47

cathunter47 New Member

State:
    wy
    You are right Motard1 it's the bait, that I put on the hook tied to the line connected to my Abu so I can chunk that bait out yonder and crank that cat in, that catches the fish. Or maybe its just the catfish that matters. Until we figure it all out I'll keep my Abu 6600 clean and lubed :wink:

11. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I buy a lot of stuff from catfish connection. It's a good place to buy abu garcia reels.

12. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    All I can say is Abu and catfish seem to go together. My Abu's have never let me down!

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <and make yearly trips to stock up on stuff. i can almost drive as chep as shipping now days.>

I have found the exact OPPOSITE, Jeremy!

<that cat reel is called the trophy series. and they have one now thats blue. and i believe its an exclusive. you cannot get it anywhere else.>

That's the info they have listed on their website, but I have seen them from other vendors. They are always on eBay, selling for $40 or more than CC has them listed. I've seen so many of them scattered around, I'm sure CC couldn't have supplied them all. I do love trading with CC!

<But,Abu Garcia does make good reels,but so do alot of others.>

As stated: "For the money"...)
    Bill in SC

14. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Totally agree. Just alot of guys on here are starting to sound like bass fisherman. You know,its the boat that catches the fish with them. When really its about presentation and technique that matters. Just like catfishing,its the bait. I reel in big fish with everything Abus to Tidewaters. I also use some spinning reels. I have caught all sizes of fish on all of them. Proving once again that it's the bait not the reel that catches fish. But you do need a good reel to get thje bigguns.

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <But you do need a good reel to get thje bigguns.>

Amen!
    BB in SC

16. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    all right if its the bait that catches a fish who needs a rod and reel all throw your bait in and see how many get to the boat I do agree to an extent without bait and technique you wont get bites well unless you are hogging or noodlen whatever you want to call it you ain gettting fish to the boat without rods and reels right and a lot of us on here do bass fish as well :

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    im only an hour drive. and i can see what im getting instead of a black and white pic.

on the reels

not the trophy series bill. just the BLUE and the BLACK cat ones. those were the exclusives. and ive never seen them on ebay. the blue and black catfish reels with power handles. not the reg red throphy series catfish.

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    as far as bait. a good reel is the difference of a big fish and a fish story and a broken zebco.

course we can catch them on a trotline too. but heaven forbid. some say thats the lazy way. lmao till i die. i do both. and i sweat a hell of a lot more running bank lines that i ever will in a years worth of rod and reel. so chug on all mighty bass fisherman of the catfish relm. us real catters will be sweating for our meals.:wink::smile2:

19. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Soooo, you're saying, If I use the right bait and get them to bite. I can go back to using the 404's I had as a kid?? LOL

:smile2:

20. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I also bass fish. What I said was,It's not the reel that catches the fish. It's alot more than that. Look at it this way,I have caught big blues on my old abu 7000's. I have caught the same and bigger on a Tidewater,and a Penn,and a Shimano. Thats why I say "IT IS NOT THE REEL" Not to downplay the quality of an abu,but I can reel in the same or bigger fish on a Penn or Pflueger that cost mo $59.99,not $149.99 like an abu 10000. As for throwing bait out with nothing else,thats ignorant. That typical smart a$$ response is typical of YANKEES. Yes,thats right,I said Yankees.