abu garcia reel help

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by cincycatman, Jan 7, 2007.

1. cincycatman

cincycatman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have an Abu Garcia 6500 C3 and it's been stored in the garage for a couple months now but is in good shape still. I put it on a new rod and was testing it out today and I noticed it gets really tough to real and like grindy, almost catching on something... I'm hopin that the lube inside just got gunky since it's been in the garage all winter but don't have the courage to break it down and clean it cuz I'm worried I'll lose pieces or not be able to put it back together correctly, anybody run into these types of problems and is my first step to get a manual and take it apart and re-lube or should I give it to a pro for repair??

2. davy51

davy51 New Member

State:
    oklahoma

if your not comfortable with taking it apart i would get a pro to do it it will be cheaper in the long run

3. polecatter

polecatter Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hi Brad, try spraying the levelwind heavily with WD40....to clean and flush. Then apply a few drops of oil. Most likely just dirt in your levelwind making it difficult to reel. Hope this helps!

Larry (polecatter)
    Keep On Castin.....Cattin!

4. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    go get a can of reel magic it well help

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds like you got some sand or something in along the sides of the spool. also check and see if your "brake" knob is not loose and hitting your star drag knob. you will never learn how to repair a reel unless you just take a chance and take it appart, thats how i learned and now i know those abu's like the back of my hand.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
  7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Brad, If you can hear grinding stop reeling. If it is sand you have to clean it out before you damage it. You can safely take off both side-plates without getting into trouble. Just take care on the handel side cause when you get the handel off there are washers and a spacer under it that will fall out if you tip it. But if you have the schematic that came in the box you will know the correct way to put them back if you weren't watching. Just go slow and work in groups of parts. It also helps to have two of the same reel the first couple times to see how everything looks when installed correctly. But you eventually have to clean it so go for it. It only seems complicated till you do it. I can't stress the "go slow" part enough. Hopefully its just the levelwind in grungy and a little sand on the spool. This is the easiest to work on. Just take off the Left side plate, unscrew the levelwind nut and remove the clip holding it to the frame. The spool will slide out now also. Leave the other side alone till you see if this works.Just use a toothbrush, some DAWN, and hot water. Dry them and oil then put back together and see if the fixed the problem.

8. catsnhemis

catsnhemis New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I agree entirely with S Man. I've had to do the same on several occasions as well. I would stress keeping your reels in a bag when not in use, and always clean and oil them before you put them up for the off season.

9. cincycatman

cincycatman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds like a project for tonight, I just wasn't sure how many springs, washers and lil pieces would be poppin out but I think I can handle it, I do imagine it's just some sand or something, and some lubing up should help as well...

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Never spray WD 40 on the reel, it just attracts gunk. WD 40 is useful for loosening things, but its not a lubricant in the true sense of the word. Real Magic (they changed the name from Reel to Real, broader appeal) is fine to use, it has no petroleum or other oil distillates.

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I just had a 6500c3 do they same thing a few days ago. I forced the handle a couple of revoulutions and stripped the pawl. So, I would say you probably need to replace the pawl or worm gear. Cheap, easy fixes. If you have an Academy Sports, INC near you, they stock the parts.

12. polecatter

polecatter Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    gadzooks, Since I am the one that mentioned WD40 and assume your post is/was directed in reply to my post above..... FYI I have used WD40 as a "CLEANER" to "FLUSH" GUNK from my reels for many, years. After cleaning, drying, and re-assembly I lube properly with a designated reel lubricant. Never had any problems at all and have several Penn 209 reels more than 30 and 40 years old still going strong.

Larry (polecatter)
    Keep On Castin.....Cattin!

13. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Brad, has this reel been used in salt water????

It sounds to me like you may have some spool bearing trouble as well as level wind. Salt water could have easily damaged the bearings. If this reel has been around salt water it should be stripped, cleaned and lubed.

The other thing that may cause problems is bent parts. Pay attention to when it gets tight and grinds. If it is every revolution of the handle, the handle is most likely bent and rubbing on something.

With the reel in free spool mode use your finger to rotate the spool. If the tight spot is at the same spot as the spool rotates it is in the spool area. It could be a bent spool dragging on the housing side plates or causing the gears to bind up. It could also be that a piece of line got behind the spool and is causing it to bind up.

Then there is always that reel someone has taken apart and just didn't quite get things back the way they should be or may have had a few left over parts. I have found a couple like that.

That reel is pretty well held together when you open it up. The only things that will drop out or give you trouble will be the small plastic casting brake pads that go on wires sticking out from the spool shaft. Some can drop off and others have to be pulled off. It is important that these brake pads are pushed against the spool shaft when the side plate is installed. If they are not one of them can get pinched between the spool and the side plate causing a problem similar to what you have described.

Let us know what you find and we can most likely talk you through this problem.

14. k5camaro

k5camaro New Member

State:
    texas
    It sounds like maybe sand has built up in your reel. Instructions say to wash with tap water after every use.Opening the reel up is simple not much to it really if u have a little mechanical inclinity.

15. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Its ok for cleaning, its a penetrating oil, so will cut the old grease, though there are other, better products for flushing out grease. What I was referring to is just spraying the reel with it, what I inferred from you post. Maybe I was wrong about the inference. My experience with WD 40 is that it, like any other petroleum distillate spray, will attract dirt and other gunk. BTW, my statement is based upon the advice of a reel mechanic with 40 years running his own repair shop, as well as that of myself and others.

16. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Brad,
    Your in good hands. Lets just say this man knows what hes talkin bout and will have ya catchin with that reel in no time. Listen to him, i've seen people on the board learn a thing or two from him.

Good to see ya postin corn....

17. cincycatman

cincycatman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well I just got done taking it apart, cleaning it, and getting it back together... Didn't really see a whole lot of dirt and sand but there was a lot of gunked up grease and lube so thats prolly what it was, took me a while to put the thing back together and I was real worried and frustrated a few times but I finally got it all put back together and everything was workin fine so i whipped it out in the pond behind my house a few times and it was as smooth as the day I bought it... I'm about to break down another older abu I have and clean that one too so thanks for that tutorial, that helped tremendously and I will no longer fear cleaning a baitcaster!!

18. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good Job Brad on your first Reel Repair. This is something you can do each year when the snow is flying. We call it Cabin Fever. Who knows you may be doing custom cleaning in a few years. Good Luck:cool2: