Abu garcia question

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by ohio catfisherman, Mar 19, 2007.

1. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i like to use quality fishing products and i also catch up to 15 pound channels im looking at purchasing abu garcia 6500 c3 can anybody help me out by telling me the other possible quality reels

2. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    You will not be dissapointed with a 6500. If you think you might move up to flathead fishing in the future spend the extra money now and buy a 7000. You can still fish channels with it and you're already set for flats if you choose to do so.

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You're not going to beat the quality of the Abu Garcia. There are other reels that are probably as good, but garcias are easy to repair and parts are easy to get for the rare occasion you'll need them. You can also get upgrade parts easily and reasonably.

The size of reel will depend on what kind of water you're fishing. If you're fishing from the boat, or bank fishing with poles 10ft or less, the 6500 is perfect. With the size of fish you're targeting, I'd say not over 20lb test line.

If you're fishing for anything bigger that you want bigger line, or are fishing spillways were you have to cast a mile and need more line, then I'd go with the 7000 size reel.

Which ever reel you get, take good care of it with regular cleaning and lubrication, and it will last a lifetime. My 6500C3 I've had for over 15 years, and still works as good or better than the day I got it.

Good luck and enjoy.

4. ohio catfisherman

State:
    Ohio
    Ive heard nothing but good things about them and i have been asking a lot of guestions i dont have one personally but im going to order up 4 of them

im

5. ohio catfisherman

State:
    Ohio
    Ive heard nothing but good things about them and i have been asking a lot of guestions idont have one personally but im going to order up 4 of them and im going to go with ugly stick tigers

IM GOING FOR THE BIG BOYS

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Before you order brand new ones, you might check ebay out first. You can get them off of there that are display models. They've never been fished with, but have no boxes. You can generally get them for at least half the price of new.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    in agree, ebay can produce good deals. usually $10-15 cheaper but watch cause some go higher than retail, dont ask me why.

another idea is a 6000. only $59 new and the only difference is the clicker side of the spool has a brass bushing and a 6500 has a bearing. the 6500 is about $77 new. i havs a buddie that got one from ebay just last week for $35. like new.

8. ohiorivercat

ohiorivercat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    you cant go wrong with a 6500 in my book....best all around reel out there

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    The 6500C3 is a good choice, I plan on adding a 6500C3 soon.

10. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I've bought two ABU 6500's a 5600 and a 5000 on ebay. Have'nt payed more than $50.00 for any of them.

11. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I LIKE THE 6500 C3 AND I ALSO LIKE THE ABU 6000.

12. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I recently started using two 6500C3 they were $79.95 at Academy with a $10 mail in rebait. I have old 6000's that I like better. It may be like breaking in a new pair of hunting boots vs the old comfortable ones. They are both good reels. I have a pair of old Abu Cardinal Spinning reels that I pick up if I want to cast futher out.

13. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If you still aren't sure if you want 4 6500's or 4 7000's or two of each hold off on buying and check them both out at the gathering. You can toss my 7000's if you want. Once you use one next to a 6500 you'll understand why I like them better lol.

14. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    The Abu's are all good reels and easy to use but I like Penn's better.If you are going to be fishing out of a boat you should for sure look into the old model Penn's 209 and 309.They may be a little stronger than the Abu's and 1/4-1/3 the price.The later model Penn's,gt series are about equal to the Abu's in strength and casting ease.
    Jake