Abu garcia question

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by ohio catfisherman, Mar 15, 2007.

1. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    is a abu garcia 6500 c3 too much of a reel for catching channels?

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    heck no!!!
    That would be my #1 choice for all catfishing.

3. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I have three of them and they are great and just what you need!

4. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    in my opinion this is the best all around reel for cats anywhere!Ive used them on the ohio river-ive used them in a pond.If you've got one you made a good choice!

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Little baby ones lol:eek:oooh: :big_smile: :lol:

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    A police car has too much engine for daily driving, but it's nice to have the extra under the hood when ya need it. It's the same with the 6500. It's small, nice and smooth, and "gutsy" when the big guy hits!

7. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I got to disagree, if you are strictly targeting channels, and have no intent or desire to go after big flats or blues, i would say a 6500 is too much. I mean, I always like to feel the fight, so when i go after channels in the river behind my house, i use a little bass baitcaster reel. it makes it way funner..Now there are only about 8 pound channels behind my house, so i am in no danger hooking into a monster and it getting off. But if you are targeting little, to midsize channels, i would get something smaller. But if you are fishing in a body of water where there is potential to catch a monster, then a 6500 is a good sized reel. Just my 2 cents.

8. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    The following is not a paid testimonail, just an honest opinion: I've had 4 6500CL3s for years and they are very serviceable - perfect for any cattin. Keep them clean and lubed and they'll last a lifetime. You can spool up with 14-lb to 20-lb (I use 20-lb Trilene Big Game) and have plenty of fight. Stop by basspro while they have their sale and pick up the Catmaxx rod in 7 or 8 foot medium action. You'll be set for just about any cat in OH.

Dennis

9. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you are fishing for channel cats, I would say the 6500 C3 is an over kill, because channels will not grow to 40 -50 pounds.

10. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    well, if u think this is too much reel, just string it with 8lb test.
    would that make it sporting for u guys?
    the only advantage to me that a 6500 has over the smaller abus is the line capacity. I like to be able to chunk my line WAY out there when i want to.

11. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I agree with Dennis, only thing I'll add is Ohio's state record Channel catfish weighs 37.65lbs so there is the potential to hang into a good sized fish.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya its a good one. i preffer to use 6500's for bigger cats but they will work fine.

i have at the moment 2 5000's and 2 5500's i use on channel and a 6000 and 2 6500cl3's i use flatheading. now a6500 can be used for both just like the last post. adjust line acordingly.

i use 15# on my smaller ones to increaseline capassity and 25 to 30# on the big ones.

if ya ever decide to fish for a big one ya have the power to d so without getting another $80 reel. and try ebay to get one much cheaper.

13. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would have to agree that the 6500 is fine, now a ABU Big Game 10000 might be to much reel for light line...LOL

14. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

There is no doubt that you can "chunk" your line way out there with a 6500, but there is also no doubt that it is a pretty big reel, and that you would be able to feel the fish more on a smaller bait caster..Everyone is entitled to use what they want, i was just stating my opinion...

15. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If distance is not an issue, then the only thing that really edges out the 5000class of reels is that the majority of the 6000 class reels have bait clickers. You can't find them on the new 5000 or 5500s unless you get the 5500 CS PRO Rocket. Either reel will pull in the big ones, they've got the same gears, just narrower spools.