Abu Garcia parts

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by Bill in SC, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I put this in the wrong section initially. Anyhow:

Wheres a good source for Abu Garcia reel parts? I lost the screw and small retainer cap that goes over the handle on one of my 6000s. Part numbers:

25230 screw
    1116750 retainer cap

Just thought there might be some reel repairmen here who might have parts on hand.

Bill in SC

BTW: I know the Abu Garcia website, but it is in a terrible format IMHO

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Bill, I believe Academy stores handles those parts. Pawls also.

3. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Hio, Bill....you can try the Abu warranty center closest to you. The parts you lost are about 2-3.00 the pair, plus the postage and any taxes you need to pay.

You may wish to wait for an Abu guy reading this to send you the bits from their cache....private folks usually don't ask for 5.99 (or whatever the dealers ask) for postage and handling. Just 1.79 for stamps, on a bubble envelope.

Here's the list of warranty centers. Good hunting. KD

http://www.abugarcia.com/warranty_us.php

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hatteras Outfitters and Mike's Reel Repair both have extensive supplies of parts for Abus for drag and bearing upgrades and gear replacement, as well as other stuff. Google either or both. I'm sure they can help you out.

5. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    I just checked the cost of the parts. The screw is a whopping 0.14 cents, and the keeper's not far up from that at 0.70 cents.
    Stamps would possibly be more than the parts !!

I'd re-think Mike's for these items, as he's in Canada. That means potential extra costs for Americans to buy, and have the parts sent back to the USA, as Pure Fishing's in IA.
    Unless you are planning on buying a _whole whack of stuff_, to cost-average the adds over the volume of parts bought.

Plan on 8-10+ day wait because of the postal transfers from Canada Post, to USPS. Canada Post gets it to the border fast enough, then USPS gets it in their system.

SIDEBAR: just in case anyone's curious:

Any Canadian business or individual importing goods from America needs to pay the pipers. That's the couriers with their obscene brokerage rates,
    the actual freight charges, the 6.5% duty, and the 5% excise tax.
    Or the USPS.

I learned all about couriers the hard way. I purchased about 25.00 worth of goods from a fellow in TX. Being used to his own system, and against my express wishes, he sent FedEx instead of USPS. I was in no big rush.
    Couriers can be faster than postal, depending on which class of postal one picks.

Fedex got me the goods, all right, After 15.95 freight, 47.50 "brokerage", 6.5% duty on the purchase price, and 15% Canadian sales tax on the purchase price, you can see it was no longer a smokin deal.
    The couriers are allowed to charge this sum, to clear customs, and collect the taxes.

USPS priority post would have been about 18.00. There would have been _no brokerage_. The parcel would have been re-routed to Canada Customs, where they would attached the paperwork, then re-enter the parcel into the postal stream.
    I would have paid a 5.00 Canada post handling fee, to collect the duty, and taxes.

If a fellow's in a desperate hurry, what's another 47.00. But if not, it's a tough pill to swallow.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I appreciate the replies. For what the Abu Garcia site lacks in it's format, it made up for it with a lightning fast response from the "contact" icon. The parts with shipping were $4.67. Money sent and waiting on parts. Coming from Iowa. Thanks again for the replies. I'll bookmark the links posted.
    bill in SC