abu garcia mounting hardware

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kaskas, Jan 16, 2006.

1. kaskas

kaskas New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Anybody ever use the additional mounting hardware with your 7000/10000 reels? I was just about to put my new 10000 on a rod and was looking at the hardware they send with the reel and figured out what it was ment for. I've been using a 7000 for last three seasons without it and no problems. Anybody had any problems and wished they had used it? Thanks Aaron

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I never use them, I also have never had a problem.

3. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have seen some use them and some don't, I never use them and no problems.

4. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    I also have never had a problem.

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I also have no problem with ,or without it , I have 1 setup with and 3 others without among others. i dont think it matters as long as you have it seated good and locked down tight:)

Hi Catfishhunter, I was just wondering what part of Louisville you from?.
    I was raised in lou.till I was 16.fished the McAlpine Locks and along the Ohio almost daily from the bank and caught tubs full of channels among other fish.I live in Crestwood now, just over the Jefferson Co Line in Oldham Co.
    The fish you holding is it from behind the Dams?.
    Might get together and do some BigCathunting sometime if possible.

6. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I've been using R&R's for over fifty years and have never lost a reel yet, without the extra hardware. I did use cable ties on one ultra light that wouldn't stay tight but no problem.

7. Just1More

Just1More New Member

When I lived in Virginia, I saw quite a few surf fishermen using them. I also used the supplied stuff on one of my 12 foot surf rods up there, but I came to the conclusion that it was more bothersome than anything. I've never lost a reel off my other rods without the stuff...nuff said...

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    My Seeker rod and many surf casting rods come with no reel seat, as well as older spinning rods. They are designed to tape the reel on in a postion customised to the user. I think those mounting brackets are an alternative to the tape and add more security to the reel. Also when fishing in the ocean with 2 pounds of weight or fighting large ocean fish, the screw down reel seats can come loose at the worse time, without the addition of the mounting bracket. My penn reel mounting bracket also has a hole to attach a cabel to boat or rod holder, which comes in handy when fishing in the ocean!

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I like using them It just feels more solid to me. I put them on then tighten em just snug then mark the spot on the bolt with a marker then take the nuts back off and use the dremel tool to cut off the excess so when tight the bolt are flush with the nut. Just don't over tighten and crack your blank.