Abu Garcia Identification

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by turtle1173, Jan 23, 2007.

1. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Hi all,

I'm working on an Abu for a friend of mine. I found out the gear is stripped on the left side that runs the level wind. I need to replace that gear but the problem is I have no idea what model of Abu this is, as it is thoroughly worn. Perhaps you all can help.

It is around 10 years old or so. It is all black. It has 3 ball bearings. You press the thumbar to cast it. It does have a clicker. All the spool capacity listings are worn off except the last one. It reads 0.45/ 115. That would be MM/Yards (I believe). The number on the bottom of the foot reads "040004".

OK, any guesses??

Thanks a lot!

2. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    That would be mm/Meters, not yards. Boy, that was dumb :tounge_out: That's what I get for trying to read and not think about what I'm writing.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It is next to impossible to tell from the info you have available. I seem to remember a reel that came out about 15 years ago named the 500. I believe it was black. The numbers on the foot, I believe, is the date year the reel was serviced at an abu repair center...think it may be in April 2004. At any rate, I believe most of the abu's have interchangeable parts. I think the worm gear costs something like 7 or 8 dollars at the Academy Sports, Inc stores, and maybe at BassPro. Think I'd just get ahold of one, or disassemble another garcia, and see if those parts inter change.

4. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    OK, I've got it narrowed down to a "Black Max" model (thanks to Jlingle and then pictures on Ebay). I believe there is a 3600, 5600, & 6600 models. So I'm thinking this is either the 5600 or the 6600, since it has a clicker.

Now I've got to figure out where to get this Cog Gear that has stripped.

5. Fordman

Fordman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Do a google search for ABU GARCIA parts. Several reel service businesses will pop up. There are online schematics which will show which numbers from the bottom of the reel foot apply to that schematic. I hesitate to say the name of any certain one in particular, but shoot me an email and I can give it to you.

6. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If your reel foot number is 040004 and you have the machined aluminum frame and not the painted or chromed frame, then your cog gear number is 22008. You have a 6600 CL. Southwestern parts has them. Might also want to buy a pawl (5176). Hope this helps.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I thought in one of my readings of the papers that come with a new ABu that they mentioned the number on the reel foot as an identifier. Call the 1-800 number and give them that number and see if that helps. If it does post back and let us know.

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I'm curious also. I have a ABU 7000 that I have no idea if it's a C3 or whatever. Yes, I could take it apart and count the bearings, but then who would put it back together?

9. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    [hhtp://reeldr.com] has a "complete" listing of diagrams for Abu reels. If you can't find it there use Abu's contact form. Terri Moyer will contact you in a day or two. BTW, if you have a little trouble getting the sideplates to fit when you reassemble them, make sure "EVERYTHING" is in it's aligned position. :0a26: