Abu Garcia fishing reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by rcneman, May 24, 2006.

1. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    I was given an old Abu Garcia baitcaster that has a broken worm gear and winds a bit tough. Took it to a respected reel repair guy locally and will get it back next week. Gonna cost $20 to repair.

ANyways, It's a 35th Anniverisary "limited edition" Ambassadeur 5, made sometime in the 70's.

Anyone know anything bout this reel?? It was attached to a 6 1/2' custom made glass med-heavy rod.

laterz
    rc

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Not that particular model. But as it is an Abu, it will give you years of faithful, good service, as long as you take care of it...

3. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    If you get it fixed for $20, more power to you! I sent one into Abu a few weeks ago and I am very displeased with the bill they sent me. I'm fighting them on it right now, but I will not be buying any more Abus after having to go through this crap.

4. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I like Garcias, okay i guess....i had good luck with the 6000..it lasted like 8 years...i love the 7000's...BUT i have had 2 6500's and they were both JUNK, i would never own one again...i hear alot of people talking about them, but i guess i have just had a bad experience...i would however reccomend the 7000 C3..i like that one real well.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Ryan, what kind of problem did you have with the Abu repairshop? If you don't feel comfortable discussing it on an open forum, please send me a PM. I recommend this service all the time, and if it is something bad, I may not want to make these recommendations in the future.