Abu Garcia Fishing Reel Drag

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by stone, Mar 15, 2008.

1. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    Ever measured the drags on your abu? What poundage drag do you fish with? Some of abu stock drag gets jerky after being contaminated with oil.

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I measured a couple of the old (2004 or 2005) Abu 6000 and 6500's, and came up with 10-12lbs max. I upgraded to carbontex discs and it increased considerably.. I'd guess to over 20lbs, but I never measured it again. I typically start with a drag setting that is probably 6-8lbs, and increase from there if needed while fighting a fish.

3. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    on a c4 i recently measured, was only 5 lbs at max

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I keep it fairly tight ,but not to tight to get the rod out of the rod holder when the biggun hits :eek:oooh:

5. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have some 6500 c3's with the older style drag (not carbon matrix) and I would be surprised if they hold over about 12-14lbs of drag! You do step up some when you go to the 7000 series. I do have a Shamano Tekota and it cranks down to about 22lbs of drag! Which is ALOT for a freshwater reel to me.:big_smile:

6. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have no idea. i always set my drag by trying to pull it off the real and then turn it just a bit more and adjust from there.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yep what he said is right. around 12-12 and around 20-22 with the carbortex and somewere around were he said for the strike setting. usually like everyone said ill just pull on it to make sure its just tight enough to load the rod but not pull to hard on the rod holder.

8. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    I like to be able to just about pick a gallon of water up off the floor!

what ever that is?

9. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jason, I would say that a gallon of water would be in the nieghborhood of 8lbs of drag. Just a guess from knowing what a gallon of water in a jug wieghs.:wink: That should be about right, especially with circle hooks!