Abu Garcia Cardinal C106 Spinning Reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by CJ21, Jul 31, 2007.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am thinking about getting one of these reels to go on my 8' foot berkley big game MH spinning rod, I am wondering do anyone have one of these reels and how it peforms? it has 5 Ball Bearings, Instant Anti-Reverse, 4.8:1 Gear Ratio it hold
    12/250 14/205 20/150 yds.

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    A friend of mine had one of the smaller versions and it didn't last a week, but he is very, very hard on his reels. He uses them in salt a bunch so that contributes to their demise. If you're only going to be using them in fresh water you should get some more use out of it. I dunno, you may want to look into an Okuma or Daiwa just to check them out.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am going to just use it in freshwater for catfishing.

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    If you're going to just use it for catfishing then you should be alright. Neither of us could believe that an Abu could be made that poorly. It may have just been a defect. Actually now that I think about it one of my brother's friend has one and it serves him real well. I actually used when I was at home this weekend.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I thank u very much!

6. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    i have one of the smaller versions that i was using for crappie last time i went fishing. i still couldnt keep the cats off of it. it did very well on 3-5 pound cats.i have had it for a few years and never had any trouble out of mine.

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've got several of the cardinals from 101 to 104. I use them from trout to bass and have caught hundreds of fish on them. I've not had any problems or complaints with them at all! I've been thinking of setting up a spinning outfit for catfish with the same reel. Let me know if you get it how it works out for you, I'm interested.:cool2:

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I will let u know vince!

9. duckriverdave

duckriverdave New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have confidence in Abu Garcia reels. I don't have the 106 but I have 2 Cardinal C4 reels that I have used for many years. I even still use an old Cardinal 3 on one of my ultra lights.

They make a good product.

drd

10. hookslinger

hookslinger Member Supporting Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Name:
    Tony
    I have two Abu Garcia cardinal 106 spinning reels on 8ft. ugly sticks and they work great! Used them about every weekend for about 3 years no problems. very smooth and fast enough to reel in over trash.

11. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks Tony, that sounds durable enough for me. I know my 101s get alot of use and abuse with my fishing the trout stream with all the sandies and strippers in there. You never know what you'll hit, but they've hels up to everything that's hit them. I've bent the shafts on some of the avoset reels doing the same fishing. I guess I'll quit putting it off and go ahead and get one.

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thanks Tony! I may get one.