Abu Garcia Cardinal 653 Fishing Reel - Is this reel any good?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by flannelman, Mar 17, 2006.

1. flannelman

flannelman New Member

does anyone know anything about the Abu Garcia Cardinal 653? i just picked up one to rebuild and fix. if anyone could tell me if this is a good reel please let me know. also if u know where to get parts, id like to know too cause i godda either fabricate a handle or buy one

2. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If im not mistaken thats a spinning reel. It will do alright for channels. If you're after flatheads you really need a strong casting combo. Spinning does'nt offer as much power as casting. Flatheads many times get into cover and you need to bare down and pull them out.

3. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    If this is the cardinal spinning reel that I'm thinking about, I doubt you'll be very happy with it. I went through 3 of them in 3 trips one time. If it's the reel I"m thinking of, they're JUNK. sorry.

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Out of about 5 abu spinning reels ive bought only one has held up. It was a cardinal black max 64. Ive had handle troubles with all the other abu spinning reels especially the axxar's. The handles for most seem to be junk.

5. flannelman

flannelman New Member

yah, im gonna try to make a handle out of metal. maybe it will hold up better then the stock handles.