Abu Garcia Cardinal 102 Spinning reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catfishjohn, Feb 28, 2008.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Abu Garcia Cardinal 102 Spinning reel

Anybody have one of these and do you like it? I just bought one for bluegill,Trout and other Bait fishing. It has 5 ball bearings and seems super smooth.
    Any info will be appreciated!

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I got one and love it! I use mine on a 7ft medium action for sandies and skipjack. I've got the 101s for trout and crappie, and a 104 or 105 (can't remember off hand) on a bass rig for finesse fishing. Not a problem out of any of them, and the 101s I've got on my trout rods have landed the occasional, accidental, hybrid and carp up to 10lbs. You'll love it!

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thanks for the info! I'll also be using it for skippies and crappie. Looks like an all around good small reel that'll handle a decent fish. I'm spooling it with 8# test line for the better challenge...LOL!
    BTW, I'll be putting it on a 6'6" Medium Ugly Stik.

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm using 4 & 6lb test for my 101s on 7ft light and ultralight craphite rods from bass pro for the crappie and trout. They make a GREAT trout rig. I've got 8lb on the 102 mounted on a 7ft medium graphite Garcia Conolon. They all cast far and fight well and very sensitive!

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I was wondering how well it would cast. We have the same test # on our 102's so hopefully I'll have the same results.
    Thanks for the info, its appreciated!!!:wink::big_smile:

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Here are a couple pics after I put it on the 6'6" Ugly Stik and spooled it with Stren Super Knot 8# Test line.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t165/catfishjohn73/AGCardinalReel001.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t165/catfishjohn73/AGCardinalReel002.jpg

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Great set up for what you're gonna use it for. You're gonna love it!

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have a small one that I use for trout and panfish and love it.

9. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Nice looking set up little buddy,we will try it out next weekend! Ill show you why I dont use stren then also. Bring some extra line with you(Berkley Trylene XL green) so you wont get frustrated. I have found espechially when its cold stren is like wire it coils real bad. But a nice outfit none the less.:wink:

10. Pinky

Pinky New Member

State:
    Virginia
    oh yeah your going to like it. long story cut short mine fell out of a moving truck... it still works perfectly!

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

You are 100% correct! I love it, Its very smooth and casts great! It worked well for trout and gills on Sat. when I got to try it out.
    Thanks for all the info!!!!!:wink::big_smile:

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice set up John, I hope to get the Abu Garcia Cardinal 106 spinning reel for my 8' big game spinning rod for catfishing and stripers.

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Let me know how you like it when you get it. Also, whats the size difference in the two and how many ball bearings does it have. I'm in love with Abu Spinning Reels...:wink::smile2:.....Can you tell?:wink::smile2:

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've got one too John. I use it for skipjack, crappie and white bass. It is super smooth and casts great:cool2:

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I agree! It does cast great and the retrieve is smooth as silk! 2 Thumbs Up!!!:big_smile:

16. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am love with them to, I will let you know when I get it.

17. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I've got four of them. Two are 101's and two are 102's. They're versatile. I use them for perch, bream, and small cats.

18. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I bought a Cardinal 100 not long ago for crappie fishing. If Jim Helring see's this he will not believe it. LOL But I honestly believe I've finally found a spinning reel I like better than my old Mitchell 308's. Smoot as silk and the Anti-Reverse works like a dream. Drag system on this reel works like one should. Gradual and smooth as a baby's.....behind. Very good reel in my opinion.

19. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I Love mine!!! I had a long positive post written on here about the reel and it went 'POOF':crazy::roll_eyes::eek:oooh::wink::smile2:...Gone into CyberSpace......:crazy::smile2:

I will say its smooth as silk and greatly constructed!!!

I'm wanting to find out more and price of theAbu Garcia Cardinal 106 spinning reel. It seems like a great channel,striper,etc. reel and possibly flatties.:wink::big_smile: