Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Abu Garcia Cardinal 102 Spinning reel

Anybody have one of these and do you like it? I just bought one for bluegill,Trout and other Bait fishing. It has 5 ball bearings and seems super smooth.
Any info will be appreciated!

·
Registered
950 Posts
I got one and love it! I use mine on a 7ft medium action for sandies and skipjack. I've got the 101s for trout and crappie, and a 104 or 105 (can't remember off hand) on a bass rig for finesse fishing. Not a problem out of any of them, and the 101s I've got on my trout rods have landed the occasional, accidental, hybrid and carp up to 10lbs. You'll love it!

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got one and love it! I use mine on a 7ft medium action for sandies and skipjack. I've got the 101s for trout and crappie, and a 104 or 105 (can't remember off hand) on a bass rig for finesse fishing. Not a problem out of any of them, and the 101s I've got on my trout rods have landed the occasional, accidental, hybrid and carp up to 10lbs. You'll love it!

Thanks for the info! I'll also be using it for skippies and crappie. Looks like an all around good small reel that'll handle a decent fish. I'm spooling it with 8# test line for the better challenge...LOL!
BTW, I'll be putting it on a 6'6" Medium Ugly Stik.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I'm using 4 & 6lb test for my 101s on 7ft light and ultralight craphite rods from bass pro for the crappie and trout. They make a GREAT trout rig. I've got 8lb on the 102 mounted on a 7ft medium graphite Garcia Conolon. They all cast far and fight well and very sensitive!

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm using 4 & 6lb test for my 101s on 7ft light and ultralight craphite rods from bass pro for the crappie and trout. They make a GREAT trout rig. I've got 8lb on the 102 mounted on a 7ft medium graphite Garcia Conolon. They all cast far and fight well and very sensitive!

I was wondering how well it would cast. We have the same test # on our 102's so hopefully I'll have the same results.
Thanks for the info, its appreciated!!!:wink::big_smile:

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Abu Garcia Cardinal 102 Spinning reel

Anybody have one of these and do you like it? I just bought one for bluegill,Trout and other Bait fishing. It has 5 ball bearings and seems super smooth.
Any info will be appreciated!

Here are a couple pics after I put it on the 6'6" Ugly Stik and spooled it with Stren Super Knot 8# Test line.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t165/catfishjohn73/AGCardinalReel001.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t165/catfishjohn73/AGCardinalReel002.jpg

·
Banned
1,017 Posts
Nice looking set up little buddy,we will try it out next weekend! Ill show you why I dont use stren then also. Bring some extra line with you(Berkley Trylene XL green) so you wont get frustrated. I have found espechially when its cold stren is like wire it coils real bad. But a nice outfit none the less.:wink:

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice set up John, I hope to get the Abu Garcia Cardinal 106 spinning reel for my 8' big game spinning rod for catfishing and stripers.
Let me know how you like it when you get it. Also, whats the size difference in the two and how many ball bearings does it have. I'm in love with Abu Spinning Reels...:wink::smile2:.....Can you tell?:wink::smile2:

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I bought a Cardinal 100 not long ago for crappie fishing. If Jim Helring see's this he will not believe it. LOL But I honestly believe I've finally found a spinning reel I like better than my old Mitchell 308's. Smoot as silk and the Anti-Reverse works like a dream. Drag system on this reel works like one should. Gradual and smooth as a baby's.....behind. Very good reel in my opinion.

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I Love mine!!! I had a long positive post written on here about the reel and it went 'POOF':crazy::roll_eyes::eek:oooh::wink::smile2:...Gone into CyberSpace......:crazy::smile2:

I will say its smooth as silk and greatly constructed!!!

I'm wanting to find out more and price of theAbu Garcia Cardinal 106 spinning reel. It seems like a great channel,striper,etc. reel and possibly flatties.:wink::big_smile:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.