Abu Garcia c4 baitclicker?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Madtownangler, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Does the Abu Garcia 6601 c4 (left hand) have a bait clicker? Also, I'd like a good link to the specs on all Abu Garcia baitcasting reels. Some catalogs tell you if they have baitclickers and they are not always right.

Also, has anyone used this reel for catfishing? I have a c3 and love it, but want the faster gear ratio for musky fishing and a clicker for when I use live bait. Also the blue color looks cooler than the silver.

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Check this link and it should help. http://www.reedssports.com/Category/main.taf?cat=1767

I have one but it's right handed and it has a clicker. I'm fixing to buy another one and I really like this reel. The only thing is on a bigger fish you will need to rely on the rod more when bringing it in. The faster retrieve will also save you some terminal tackle when fishing stumps.

3. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I've used the C4 in the past with no problem, like John said you have to use your rod on the bigger cats. If you go to abu's site they will give you all the specs on there reels. Just type in abu garcia on the search engine.

4. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks, I ordered one last night.

5. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA

I am thinking about getting the 6600c4. What do you mean when you say you have to rely on the rod more? How is the drag system on this reel? I am looking for a reel that has a strong drag system. I do not know anything about baitcasters but want to start fishing with them. I was thinking about pairing that reel with the catfish safari river rod. Would this work?

Thanks

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Scott, with the higher gear ratio you get a faster retreive but you also lose some raw cranking power that you have with the 5:3to1 gear ratio reels like 6000,6500,7000 etc.

7. ilovemyfish

ilovemyfish New Member

State:
    california

i have a left hander and yes they do have a clicker ....this is my first abu and i love it im planning on buying another shortly maybe a c3

8. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    most of the abu 6500 series would have bait clickers.:smile2:

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I haven't seen a 6000/6500 size reel in the last 30 years that DIDN'T have a bait clicker on it. The only exception would be the 6500 magtrax because the magnet cast control took up the space of the clicker.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Anybody looking to buy an abu reel be it 6500c3 or the c4 model make sure it has the new carbon matrix drag, it is a big improvement..I think this drag was installed on these reels starting in 2006.

11. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Even if it doesn't have them, you can get them for about 10.00 and they're easy to install. Takes less than 5 minutes. I wouldn't pass up a good deal on one because they don't have the new drag washers, and there's some really great deals now and then on ebay.

12. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    I just got a abu ambassador black max with a abu black max rod and i can not wait to get out there and use this rod and reel

13. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I fished several times this fall with a fellow that had one.It would cast a mile or at least a lot farther than me with my 6000.Have read on a reel repair site that they have more maintenance problems than the 6500 series.
    Jake

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Not for me they aint easy to install, every abu I have taken apart has went into the trash can cause I cant get them back together right!:smile2:

15. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    they have an extra bearing that needs taking care of.

16. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA

Actually there are, the abu ct black and the first run of the abu camo do not have clickers. I have sold the abu black but have a few brand new camo 6500. I think they didnt have clickers on them so there isnt much plastic showing. they seem to look better than the newer camo to me. :big_smile:

17. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks , that's a little trivia I wasn't aware of.

18. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    So, Jack, just were do you throw your trash out at?:cool2:

19. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Jack send them my way. I'll even pay the shipping .:smile2:..sb

20. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Hey Madtown,check this site out(I dont know how to post the link) FFO-tackle.com.thy have some 6600 abu factory reconditioned $38.00 with a clicker,red reel.I have a bunch of the older blue 5600 c4 the older ones had a clicker so I like the narrow spool and a clicker so I figure best of both worlds.I got them on eagle claw rods which are yellow with blue handles and wraps,the look good,"I might not know what I am doing but I look good trying"The new 5600c4 dont have the clicker but the new 6600 still has.I have got a couple of the reconditioned reels and you couldnt tell them from a new one.