Abu Garcia brute 6600 vs. 6600 vs. 7000bg

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catfish-for-life, Sep 6, 2006.

1. catfish-for-life

catfish-for-life New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have been looking to buy a good baitcasting reel that will cast far(I am a bank fisher) and handle cats in the 50lb class. I like the 6600 and the 6600 brute. However I have never seen a 6600 in person. Is it a 6600 with a power handle added? If so, then great, but I figured it may have a different gear ratio. The 7000bg seems the heaviest made and the clicker and drag seems to work a little better than the 6600, however I am wondering if it will cast as far as the 6600s? Thanks Guys.........

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    For 50lb Class fish get the 7000, it will hold more big line and will cast a very long way. They do make them bigger then the 7000 though, I have a 9000BG that is awesome but needs a part for the handle. Some 6500's and 6600's have the power handle, but most I have seen do not come with it, you can put it on any of them though if you buy it seperate.

3. catfish-for-life

State:
    Kentucky
    I have been using braided just to be able to make 75 yard cast, however I would like to switch to 50lb big game and and make the same cast. Will the 7000 be capable of this with say 6 ounces of weight? I used to fish on smaller streams for big flatheads and used stiff 8ft. rods with big levelwind reels and 65lb mono. Worked great, but now I am fishing big rivers for blues and need to make those long cast. I can make them with braided line, but the heavy mono just won't cast very far with my current setup.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I don't know if any Abu reel can cast 50lb Mono very far, I have never tried that with any reel actually.

5. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    9000, thats a wench aint it, lol. I fish the 5500c and love it. I can cast that thing a mile. Line diamater is the key to distance, along with a longer rod. I also have a penn, got it wound with 70lb dacron, can cast it but only with min. 3oz weight, and only about 50 yards.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    No, not really. It is not a whole lot wider, just has a bigger spool and holds a lot more line. It does have some cranking power, but I don't think it has more power then a Penn 309, it's about the same. There has been times when I wish I had more then the 9000, I think they have a 10,000 even.

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Long rods and light line are the secret to distance casting. But, the line has to be able to cast the weight you are using. Braided is thinner, so, theory, will cast farther for a give weight class. If casting that much weight, its doubtful that, unless you are using braid, you'll want to go below 20lb, most likely 25 or 30 is going to take the weight better. Go with at least an 11 ft rod, preferably a longer one. With braid, the neat thing is you can get a heavy weight line with the diameter of a smaller mono line.

8. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    in my opinion the rod is the secret to distance casting.lighter line will go father than heavy but to throw a 6 oz sinkeryou must use heavy line or a shock line to absorb the stress of loading the rod. i personally use a spinning reel but the casting reels have more distance. with a 12 rod and adecent reel i would say 150 yds is attainable for most people.above this the reel and tecnique (sp) will come into play. my opinion the penn525 super mag is a good long distance casting reel.lol boliver

9. Amigo108

Amigo108 New Member

State:
    Columbia, Maryland
    Here are the factors you need to consider for your maximum cast distance:

Line diameter and weight do make a big difference, the braid should go further for you (make sure you have a shock leader). Rod lenght makes a difference but if you have a hard time swinging and generating some rod speed on your long rod, you might actually do better with a slightly shorter rod that is easier for you to handle, this is a trade off that only some practice casts will tell), the action on the rod is also improtant, you'll handle the heavier lure weight with a heavier action rod, especially at the tip where you want it nice and stiff for a good snap and a rod that breaks/starts it's bend under a little load at about 75% of the rod lenght will cast better cause on a long rod that breaks further down you don't have the range of swing that you need (cause your lure is sitting on the ground as oposed to a less bendy rod).

I think the 6600 would not be good for you because the gear ratio is 6:3 which would be harder to real in the big fish, the 7000 will probably match up to your longer rod better (wieght wise it should be more balanced) plus it/s got a 4:1 to 1 gear ratio and holds more line.

So, you need the 7000 with a long stiff rod that breaks nearer the tip. And when your casting think SPEED after youstart your throw. Finally, I have heard that removing the line guard can further increase your cast distance but have not tried it. And most of your long rods are probly designed as surf rods for spinning reels, if you can, get a bait cast rod cause the eyes will be better suited in size, distance from the reel and height away from the rod for your reel (also, the rod should be designed to bend in the opposite direction than a spinning rod)

Hope that helps. David

10. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Here is my advice....

I have been using 6500's for a long time....and I really like them. I recently got a 6600 and like it too. Although I do most of my fishing from a little boat, the 6500's still do a good job of casting. Before I got the boat I could cast across the river without any problem.

As others have mentioned, the line is a big determinate. I have used 65lb test Powerpro line and it works great. As well, if the waters that you fish have a lot of current, you will need to factor that in.

If it were me, I would stick with the 6600's unless the following three things apply:

1. You feel like spending the extra money

2. You fish in water that has a lot of current...you will have to add more weight onto the end of the line to get the bait to stay on the bottom and will need a good pole and good reel to cast it far

3. You want to fish with heavy mono line. Because the line is so much thicker, you will need the space on the reel for thicker line.

JMO

11. catfish-for-life

State:
    Kentucky
    I have heard about a casting reel called a Penn 525 Mag. Has anybody tried one of these?

12. catfish-for-life

State:
    Kentucky
    Or I should just get a boat and all my problems would be solved. Ha Ha. I actually am thinking of buying a boat, but feel if I wait until winter the prices will be less.

13. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    a boat is a good option altough more expensive than a reel. lol. but any way if you are wanting to make really long casts why switch to mono? mono has a strech and so at the greater distance you cant get as good of a hook set, now the braided line your using now has no stretch and there for gives you good hook sets even over long distance, not to mention with the strech of mono over that distancce youll lose sensitivity while with the braid you keep it, so unless your getting a boat id stick with braid as your line. now if you are making shorter casts id use mono but not at the distance your wanting to fish.

14. Bravesnflat25

Bravesnflat25 New Member

State:
    Anderson
    All the reels you mentioned are great great reels. There is not much difference between the 6600 and the 6500 just the 6:3 gear ratio on the 6600. The 7000's are just awesome. If you get the 6500 or the 6600 all you got to do is get you some 100lb braid is has the Diameter of 20. THat will get the big one in and also get the distance you want. I got that on my 6500 and my 6600 and I my average throw is over 80 yards and i only cast with a 3oz sinker.