Abu Garcia Brute 6600 and 5000C Ultra Cast fishing reel review

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by alands94, Dec 11, 2005.

1. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I just made the transition to baitcasters and I bought 2 reels on E-Bay - an Abu Garcia Brute 6600 and a 5000C ultra cast. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about these reels? Also - what would be a good line to use with these reels? I use Berkley Big Game 20# solar on my old Zebco spincaters. Thanks in advance!

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    20# will be too big for the 5000, but should work just fine on the 6600. What kind of rod are you putting them on? If you wanted to still use a heavt line on the 5000, you could always look @ some sort of braid such as Power Pro or Spider Wire Stealth.

3. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    H20 is right on the 5000 or you could go to a 10lb mono. For most cats, that is enough and the smaller diameter is good for casting, current problems etc. The mono is a bit easier to handle, cheaper, and more abrasion resistant. The nice thing about the abu's is that there are many upgrades that you can add (kind of like suping up your truck). Hatteras outfitters has a "LOT" of stuff and even have magnetic backlash controls that can be added. You'll enjoy the reels as you learn how to best use them. No rod or reel is perfect for everything. As others will say, match the rod, line, and tackle for the conditions. Big rivers and fast current require different rigs (sometimes) than lakes etc. This is a great time to work on these things. Hannibal Mike

4. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    For both of them I would replace the drag washers with Carbontex washers from Smooth Drag. I just replaced all the drags in all of 5500 and 6500 reels (except the 2speeds I have..can't find the right size yet) and they are leaps and bounds better than stock drag washers. Very very smooth. I greased the washers with a light coat of Shimano drag grease as I put them in. If you want more information PM me.

BTW, I'm not affiliated with either of those...just like the products cause I use 'em. :)

5. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    If your Zebco spincasters held enough 20lb line, so will the 5000. I mostly use 14lb on my 5000 but have used up to 17lb on it. My son and I both use ABU's, 5000's, 6000's, and 7000's all are stone stock just like they came from the factory. A couple of them are over 20 years old , they have performed great on flats up to 55lb. The 55lb flat was on 17lb line so I would say the stock drag washers worked pretty smooth. Now if the drag washers ever wear out I may look at after market ones, kinda like if the bushings ever wear out on my 7000 I may replace them with bearings. I use 20lb line on my 6000's and 30lb on my 7000, my son uses 17lb on all his.

6. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    I have to agree with Griz. I have 5500C3's spooled with 20# line for Ba$$ fishing, and several 6000TG & 6500C3's spooled with 20# and they work just fine! None have upgraded drags as of yet & I will upgrade if I ever have a problem with them. Have had none to date!

I do have a couple of 7001HS reels and they also work great with the stock drag washers. Again, if I ever have problems I will replace them with better quality drags, but they are doing just fine.

Most people will not experiece any real problems with the stock drags if they will just use the reels like they were designed instead of winches!! :) No reel will stand up to limits beyond what they were designed for & I mean let's get real, if you use reels properly (and I stress properly) most of the better quality reels will last a lifetime. All you need to do is perform maintenance on a regular basis and treat your gear right and they will last forever, provided you are using quality to start with!

I have two ABU 5000 series reels that are 40+ years old, neither has been rebuilt, only had normal maintenance, and still work just fine. One has been used BA$$ fishing with 20# line for it's lifetime doodlesocking worms/lizzards with the drag screwed down as tight as I can get it & it still works JUST FINE! It has even caught a 54# flathead with numerous smaller cats, plus I have no idea how many bass it has brought in as I used to tournament fish bass before I got tired of the BS. Now I fish the way man was meant to fish!

7. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

the drags work but they are jumpy....when compared to a diawa or shimano there is no comparing the two as far as the smoothness of the drag...the carbontex and extreme smoothies make the drag smoother for more consistancy..which isnt a big problem if you are fishing with heavy line like 50-150 lb braid like some of you all do..but for 8-20 lb line they make the abus more enjoyable to fish with since your rod tip does not shake when drag is being pulled out...and with the regular drag washers they often freeze up even when the reel is being fished for the first time... i am an abu fan and love to fish with their reels but i will be the first to admit they are lacking in drag strength and consistency ...which is given by using carbontex drags

8. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    That's exactly what I'm talking about. The jumpy rod tip drives me nuts and I've actually lost fish because of that. :cursing:

9. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Yep, that's the problem with the ABU drags. The "jumpy" drag can cause a hook to tear out or pop the line. Mine have the smoothies installed. Haven't tried the Carbontex drags but I'm told theyr'e great. Tres Irby has the at Hatteras Outfitters.

IMO, I don't think cat's tend to "run" like a lot of saltwater species do (which is where the drag upgrades are most popular) so the inferior abu drag system doesn't manifest itself as such a large problem. Heck I didn't even bother to loosen my drags for storage until I started fishing the surf and quickly learned that I was significantly decreasing the useful (functional) life of the drags in my reels.

That said, there are A LOT of bone stock reels out there that have lived long, prosperous lives ;)
    /Scott

10. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    HO does have them, but you can get them cheaper straight from the horses mouth (SmoothDrag). 9.99 from Dawn vs 14.99 from Tres.

You are right about the problem not manifesting itself in freshwater as much as salt, but I have had a couple big blues that wanted to take me for a ride and they did really well. I really really like the new Carbontex drags. I hear Abu is actually putting their "Carbon Matrix" in all the new reels starting this year, which is essentially the same thing. I do like to coat mine with a thin layer of grease to waterproof the washers as well as make them a bit smoother.

On another note, I would check your smoothies and make sure they're not sticking together. The Smoothies and Extreme models have a habit of doing that, but if you're backing the drag off you should be ok.

11. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    I've actually been considering making the Penn HT100 drag washer mods to a souped up CT frame 6500 pro rocket that I've got on my Heaver. That would really make it silky smooth. If the carbontex washers live up to the hype, that may not be necessary. I'm kind of just waiting for some more reports.

/Scott

12. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Well like I said if mine ever give me any trouble I will consider after market washers, but in over 20 years they haven't. Now I do back the drag off between trips, and the drags are set to appx. 1/3 of the line rating recomended for the reel which is what the manufactures recomend. My drags aren't jerky the line comes off smooth no rod bounce. The heaviest line I use is 30lb on my 7000, the 6000's use 20lb, and the 5000 uses 14 or 17lb. Over the summer my son and I have caught 7 flatheads between 40 and 55lb all but one was caught on either 17lb or 20lb line, so I figure the drags are doing their job just fine.