Abu Garcia Blue Yonder

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by BMills13, Nov 27, 2007.

1. BMills13

BMills13 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I've been leaning towards purchasing a few reels for long distance casting and have always heard these are acceptional reels. Anyone have opinions bout them or possibly comparable reels in the capacity of performance. Things are not cheap!

2. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    The Blue Yonder is a wonderful reel. However, it might not be what your really needing... what do you mean by "long distance casting"?
    Are you looking for something to "fish" further, or are you looking to get into competitive casting?

If your looking for a fishing reel, I personally love the 6500 CS Rocket, it will cast further than about 90% of the people who use it are capable of.
    It is the "go to" reel for the long distance surfcasters that don't want to justify the cost of the BY or cant/wont find one.
    If you get a kit to remove the levelwind, and put a power handle on it you basically have a "pale blue" yonder haha.. But I personally love the old school handle of these reels and keep the levelwind on for lure fishing.

The Pro rockets are excellent reels in the same price range as the 6500 CS rocket.
    The sports mag is another favorite, as well as the mag elite's...

Honestly, all of the "high end" Abu's are real screamers full of potential.

Another option would be the Penn 525mag. Another screamer reel, will cast a country mile, ton's of line capacity... and has been used in competition's by some.

3. BMills13

BMills13 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Appreciate the reply. The objective is to definitely fish further and not the competition aspect. I fish from a boat the majority of the time but will take trips and boat somewhere, camp, and fish from shore. I went a week ago and marked ledges adjacent to the camp sight but they were just out of casting distance. Spent the night setting baits by boat and running the rods back to shore. With winter setting in i would like a couple set ups to cast in the 100 yard mark to reach ledges, channels, discharges, etc.. I have just heard that the blue yonder was a good option but would definitley like to save money on a comparable real if possible. Thanks again for the suggestions and feel free to advise further.