abu garcia big game 10000ct

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by tank3544, Sep 24, 2005.

1. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    if this reel can be topped i would be plenty surprised

this is without a doubt, THE smoothest reel i've ever used .. it makes a bass reel (known for being smooth) feel like complete junk

at first glance it looks very sharp .. it has 2 braking systems which is surprisingly easy to setup and because of the 2 braking systems this reel has yet to let me experience the wonderful birdnest

the drag is nice and tight, yet just as smooth as when you're turning the reel .. follow all that up with a nice loud bait clicker and there's not much more you could ask for

i recommend stopping by cabela's to see them on display .. for the size they are not heavy, altho for those used to smaller reels its going to feel like a big brick .. anyway just stop by and try one out .. i guarantee after a few turns of the reel you're going to want one

these are more expensive than most catters are going to want to spend .. but from what i've seen so far they are worth their weight in gold

also before you buy, make sure the fish in your waters are big enough for this reel .. if your chasing 10lb channels around you may as well tie your line a mechanical winch .. this reel only makes sense for those looking for a true giant

2. M.Magis

M.Magis Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    I like mine as well, however you may want to ready the little booklet it came with. The adjustment knob on the right side, under the drag, doesn't do anything. It actually states to NOT use it, though I'm not too sure why it's there. The only adjustment is on the left side. Very smooth reel for the size.

3. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    this is the first ive ever heard of the abu 1000?? do u have any pics , whats the line capacity ??? i bet it hold sometin like 300 yds of 30 lb

4. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    i never read directions haha

what i've found for that knob is this .. when the reel is engaged using the clicker feature, the tighter you turn that knob, the harder it is for the fish to pull out line .. also using that knob allows you to sit using the clicker in high current by tightening it down so line isn't constantly being pulled out

and for arguemantative sake i just read the manual .. it definatly does NOT say to not use the one under the drag .. it says to adjust BOTH the centrifugal on the left and mechanical on the right for maximum casting distance and reduction of bird nests

bass head on over to cabelas website and do a search for abu garcia 10000

5. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    That knob is your cast control :rolleyes: haha.. and should not be tightened down and used as a drag or as a bait runner. You tighten that just enough to allow the bait and sinker to fall at a steady pace to the ground when you depress the thumb lever. This will prevent back lash during the cast.

The way your using that knob is exactly what you'd get with a lever drag reel. Since Ambassadeur has such a large following here I’m surprised no one has a 7000LD, its a great reel and once you use a lever for bait fishing you'll wonder why you've never used one before. I wonder why the don’t make them on smaller reels :confused: because going from a light tension for allowing any fish to run with the bait, then "shifting" up through the “gears” as needed to fight the fish is so convenient and fun! it's like NASCAR for fishing reels:thumbsup: haha..

6. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    yes crucial i did mention the combination of the knobs is for simply that

however i use the right one more for what i said because the magnetic braking system always seems to override the other .. so it dosen't really matter when the knob on the right is so i use it for my own purposes :D

7. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Well in case you are curious,
    The magnetic breaking on reels utilizes a phenomenon known as the 'eddy current' to control the revolutions of the spool. In simple terms, its kind of similar to static electricity, kind'a.
    Anyway, the eddy current only kicks in when the spool reaches a high rpm, so it prevents a back lash at the 'fastest' point of the cast. This is where most major backlashes occur, when the sinker loses its forward momentum and starts to fall to the earth but the spool is still spinning off line at nearly the same rate as it was through the power stroke of the cast :eek:

So there is a need for something to pick up where the eddy current left off. this is where the spool tension knob comes into play. The knob places physical resistance on the spool (as you've discovered LOL) reducing the total number of revolutions the spool will rotate with the same amount of power (as with out). So when the eddy current cuts off, and is no longer slowing down the spool but the spool is still wanting to spin, the tension knob will slow the revolutions down to the point where the spool is controllable.

In short, the mag control is to control high prm's and the tension is to limit the lower prms.. that’s why the manual says to adjust and use them together.. each one should be set a little on the "fast" side because together they will create the ultimate cast control (well in theory anyway ;) )

If it works as a bait runner too then theres a whole new world of marketing that Abu Garcia is missing out on ahaha :)

8. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    haha more than we all wanted to know .. but good info nonetheless

seriously try it out for the baitrunner feature .. you'll be surprised how well it works :D

9. M.Magis

M.Magis Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    I guess I should read mine again. :) I was certain it said to only use the left adjustment on the 7000s and larger. I even tried the right one and it did nothing. I'll have to try it one more time.

10. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Sorry,
    I had the feeling that was a little too much info :eek: haha! But I love my tackle and tend to get a little carryed away with the technical aspects. Some time I leave my self in stooper :huh:

But understanding how the cast controls work has helped me become a better caster, and has given me an edge with hard to control reels as well. For example, my favorite reel of all time (Avet) is a real B:cursing:ch to cast but knowing how the eddy current works, you can apply your own magnetic breaking system (via a couple of magnets from raido shack) and suddenly the reel you were ready to give up on is tame as a pussy cat :D So hopefully, the info will be of some use to some one haha...

11. M.Magis

M.Magis Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    I read mine again and it says "Use only left adjustment for models 7000-10000."
    :confused:

12. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    huh mine says to adjust both for "maximum casting distance and control"

do you have the regular 10000 or the 10000ct?

mine is the ct .. maybe it makes a difference

13. M.Magis

M.Magis Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    I'm not sure which I have. I suppose it could make a difference, but I figured the booklet would be the same. It seems very general, made to cover almost all models.

14. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    If your reel has a levelwind, it is a CS frame. If no levelwind, it is a CT which requires distributing th line on the spool with your thumb.

I'm interested to know myself because I have yet another opinion of what the right side cast control knob is for and am undecided as to whether or not I want to enter this debate. lol :rolleyes:

/Scott

15. M.Magis

M.Magis Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    Mine just says BG10000. I again tried the right adjustment knob. It does make a SLIGHT difference in freespool speed, but barely enough to notice. I've only had it a month, so I don't know the in's and out's of it. I was mainly going by what the booklet said.

16. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    What good catman reads directions? :) Anyone had a problem with the pin that rides in the groove moving the level wind side to side braking in the 10000? The 6500's I have a major problem with even though they are the weakest part of the real and are designed to break it still sucks.

17. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    huh how about that .. hard to believe those little letters at the end change so much .. if i had a scanner i'd scan in my instructions to show you

crazy my 320gt2 has a serious problem with that .. keeps getting stuck on one side .. tighten the screw and half hour later its loose again

18. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    The part is cheap it cost like 2 bucks if that to replace. It just sucks I have been fighting a fish and it gets stuck on the one side. Almost makes me want to start fishing with non-level wind reels. I just don't know how even they reel the line in. Right now I have an Iron cast reel that needs the new part. Oh well part of fishing.

19. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Yep, the levelwinds stink. I use non-levelwind reels for soaking bait almost exclusively. Casting distance is also improved. Using your thumb to wind the line on the spool becomes instinct after a short time, even in the dark.

It pays to keep a couple extra levelwind cogs in ur box.

/Scott

20. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I'm not 100% shure but my take on the right hand knob is its just their for access to the thin brass plates that are in there. So you can grease or replace them as needed. Their in their to reduce friction and wear and give the mechanical brake something to push against not for ajustment other than centering up the spool. :blink: