Abu Garcia BG7000 LD bait clicker hard to engage?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by johnqle, Nov 22, 2006.

1. johnqle

johnqle New Member

State:
    CA
    Greetings all,

I just acquire a couple Abu Big Game BG7000 Lever Drag reels based on all the good reviews found on this site. However, the spool clicker on both reels is quite hard to engage and I have to push hard on it while turning the spool around to get the clicker engaged.

Just wonder whether anyone has had this experience before to share with?

Thanks,
    John

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    John,
    I have 2ea, 7000LD reels, and just love them. Never had the prob You described with engaging the clickers. On some of My regular 7000C3's sometimes when the current is pulling on them real hard I have to reach up with My thumb and take some pressure off of the gears to engage the clickers on them.

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If they are new maybe they just need worked in alittle or some oil. Take that side plate off, look for dry crusty grease or rust. There isn't much under that plate to mess up if you never took one apart before. If they are used get out the schematic and see if it was put together correctly. I have 7000 bg reels and have never had this problem before.

4. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC

I would say oil them, and break them in. Other than that you have a great high quality reel!

5. johnqle

johnqle New Member

State:
    CA
    Appreciate all your replies and recommendations. I bought these new so will try to open the side plate and oil/grease the whole thing a bit. Hopefully, it will fix this slight problem because I do really like the look, the solid feel and the reel smoothness. Will provide heads-up after that.

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    John, abu's come from the factory packed with grease to keep them in good condition while on the shelf, and so a first time buyer can use them a couple years if they don't clean them themselves. The first thing I do when I buy a new one is strip it down and remove all that excess grease. It will just stiffen and get hard after awhile. Then I lightly oil all metal parts and put grease only on the brass gears under the handle side plate.
    You end up with a smoother reel on cast and retrieve. Since you have two do one and see the difference. Also helps to have two so you can keep one to refer to as you put the first back together the first few times. They are very sensitive to correct placement of internal parts. Just go slow and work on one group of parts at a time. Clean with a toothbrush and dawn under hot water.