Abu Garcia BCX?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by sherlockian, Feb 21, 2008.

1. sherlockian

sherlockian New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Does anyone know anything or have any experience with these reels? i.e. capactity, # of brake pins, gear ratio. I saw a combo at Walmart for like $70. It was a 6'6" MH and the reel was designated 5600. I assume the capacity will be the same as a regular 5600 and the gear ration to be 6.3.1. The reel seems well designed and pretty smooth. I can't find anything on it at the Abu site nor much online. I have gathered that it is Chinese made, not Swedish, but other than that, not much else. I am thinking about going back to get it as a combo to keep in the truck for pull-over fishing. What do ya'll think?

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    A buddy of mine called me the other day asking about them, he saw the same deal at Wal Mart. I had given him a blue 6500 that I built on a chrome frame for X-mas, and he now has the itch and wanted a second set up. I told him I hadn't handled the reel or taken one apart. He called me back after he played with it a little, and told me he noticed that it felt cheap compared to the C4, reminding him more of a cheap knock off from shakespear. I'd still like to handle one to see, but not sure myself.

3. sherlockian

sherlockian New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Well, I went back to get the BCX combo and didn't. I played with the reel for a little while, it is definately subpar compared to a C4. My main test for all baitcasters is to loosen all spool tension, but brakes on minimum, and spin. Most good baitcasters will go for awhile, this one spun maybe 10 seconds. I tried this on all four of the combos they had. I am impressed with the looks and design of the reel, but not the function. Glad I didn't get it.