Abu Garcia Ambassedor 6500

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by sgt_132, Jun 25, 2009.

1. sgt_132

sgt_132 New Member

State:
    N-W Ohio
    Just got back from Cabela's with my new Abu Garcia 6500, well it must take a lot of practice to cast this thing. Man I keep getting one heck of a spool of knots. Never used one but read that a lot of guy's use them and like them. If you have any suggestions please pass them on. I have taken this thing apart 4 times to get the spider web out. Thanks Scott

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Tighten the knob on the side (behind the star drag) untill your weight falls slowly, then you can pretty much wing it. Use your thumb to break it some but not too much or you will burn your thumb.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Gary beat me to it. Only thing I can add is to practice, practice and practice some more. Once you get the hang of it you'll love it!

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Scott these guys tawt me how to use one so i will pass on what thay toled me and it worked for me.
    first off put some reely heavy line the heavyer the better i started out with 80lb. mono you dont have to use that heavy of mono but i had it and used it but by all means start out with mono not braid also use a big wait to start out like 6oz if your rod will handel that big of wait tighten the cast controle nob till the wait just barly starts dropping when you release the spool with the heavy mono pulling a bird nest out is easy and you will get the hang of it pretty quik hope this helps thear will be more guys chime in to help you listen to these guys thay will get you thrue it thay did me.

5. sgt_132

sgt_132 New Member

State:
    N-W Ohio
    Thanks guy's i have been playing with it and now it is all coming together. I found the trick of using the thumb and I am not having the spider webs now like before. Just playing in the back yard I am casting as far at I did with my other rods. Just dont have the accuracy down yet with it. Thanks Scott

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Once you get used to using your thumb more you can back off that knob. I have only been using 6500's for a couple of years and I dont even mess with the knob that much I go by feel.

7. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I see you found out the trick, about your ""Thumb""" try to keep your eye on your lure or weight, just before it hits the water apply thumb pressure, after awhile you will be able to slack off on the break even more, sounds like you got it under control now.

cliff

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    YA' What they said. LOL, Why are you taking it apart to get the birdsnests out? If the line is getting behind the spool? I'd suggest a little heavier line..

9. SlightlySeine

SlightlySeine New Member

State:
    Big "R" Town, Va
    You might want to check that the brakes are on the end of the spool. It's not unusual to get a new reel, that they weren't installed, or lost. IMO, the end cap adjustment shouldn't be used so much, adjusting for casting tension/especially with larger weights. A little is fine as with lure casting, but it is more for adjusting end play to zero tolerance. Over-tightening can easily cause bearing or shaft problems. Your centrifugal brakes and using your thumb on the spool flange should be all that's needed. For learning, bigger brake blocks (a couple bucks), and (as noted) larger "mono", along with gradually increasing distance, will give a very quick learning curve.

I'm not saying you can't use the tension knob to help, just to beware that "to much" can cause problems. I hate to see anyone take good bait $$$ to buy new bearings, and spool (due to a bent shaft), if it's not for a good upgrade :wink:

edit: I don't know how many have tried this, but a crochet needle is awesome for picking out bird nests on that occasional "Professional Over-run", I usually keep one in my bag :big_smile:

Just my $.02

10. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Scott; All the members advice is right for setting your reel adjustment. What happens is the brass plates in the tension caps have to dimple or wear in, so a few test casts are needed {under tighter then normal setting} Then as stated earlier you can gradually back it off and find your sweet spot. And please do check your reels caps agianst the schematic pic to make sure you have all the parts that it calls for, the other next best I can give is get a screwdriver and tighten all exterior screws, most often they will be hand tight.:wink: Have fun and good fishin!

11. cdog

cdog New Member

State:
    ohio
    another thing to suggest is when you tighten the knob enough and your line drops slowly let it hit the ground, if your line still backlashes tighten it just a little more then repeat until it stops. this will pretty much work with any line or weight setup you have. good luck.