Abu Garcia Ambassdeur 6600CL Rocket

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by rodpod, Aug 28, 2005.

1. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I bought this reel from walmart 2 years ago for 89 dollars. I like the orange color and the thumbbar line release. But, the bait clicker isnt loud at all, and the button that slides up seems to come off track. I dont know if this is just a defect or if all of them are like this. I have it spooled with 50lb power pro (yellow) on a 7'0 ugly stik cat rod. The whole rig looks pretty slick, i think. Has anyone else had any experience with this reel? Is the baitclicker just really quiet?

Attached Files:

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've had one for about a year. I generally consider it a channel cat reel, but I did blunder into a 42lb blue on the river with it, and it did a fine job. I've got the 6600CL, a 6000B, and a 6500TCCF, and the all have pretty weak clickers, I think it's just the way the 6xxx series is. They cast great, though. I have not had problems with the slider buttons.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nope! I own a Abu 6000 reel from wal-mart I pay 65 bucks for it. it seems like a good reel for the money.

4. Individualist

Individualist New Member

State:
    Lansing, Kansas
    I've had the rocket 6600cl for two years now. Mine has the same slider problem that you are describing. It started doing it after I took it apart to clean it. I figured that I made an error in assembly and never thought too much about it, everything else works great. I agree with Gary, it casts very nice but it's geared for fast retrieval which costs you in cranking power.

5. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Yeah i took mine apart a few times also. I dont remember if the bait clicker was loud on it before, because i only used it one before i took it apart. I might take it apart again and see if something looks funny. I will post pictures if i find the culprit.

6. Individualist

Individualist New Member

State:
    Lansing, Kansas
    Brent, If I remember correctly, there's not much inside the cover where the clicker is located. After I make a cast, I'll set it in the rod holder and slide that clicker to the on position. Sometimes it wants to kinda derail and slide to the left a bit. When it does that, the clicker is barely audible, so I make sure it slides straight up, I might have to move the spool a little to get it into position. I have a 6500cl3 with the same clicker, I might peek inside that and see if I can tell what I did wrong. Hope I don't create the same problem with that one too. Maybe I'll wait for you to post some pictures.lol

7. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Remove the left side plate carefully and re-ajust the clicker.It's a simple fix if it's not broken ,which I dought.There's mainly 2 different type of clickers, one is mechanical, and the other is just a brass flipper that runs against the clicker gear thats on the spool.If it get's sprung or out of ajustment it will be alot quiter.If you don't feel comfortable doing it ,leave it alone.A quite clicker is better than no clicker.It's fairly simple though. :0a26:

8. Individualist

Individualist New Member

State:
    Lansing, Kansas
    Thanks for the info Joey, I'll get in there and take a look.

9. Jagal

Jagal New Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    My 6500's clicker sound just fine. couldn't be the whole 6xxx series. Must just be you guys...lol

10. Jagal

Jagal New Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I also read on another thread that some people file down every other tooth on the gear so that that sound is more distinct. I don't know if that helps you out but I thought that was an alright idea.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    mudhole is right. i took apart a shakesphere skp baitcaster to clean it and it to almost lost its clicker. the mechanical thing (like a peice of spring steel) that clicked on a toothed gear had just became weak. i bent it a bit toward the gear before i put it back togather and it was louder than when i bought it.