Abu Garcia Ambassaduer ll Reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Bionic Blade, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Bionic Blade

Bionic Blade New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Hey guys, I've got an Abu Garcia Ambassaduer ll reel. I've got it strung with 12 test line. A few weeks ago a fish hit my pole and nearly jerked it out of my hands, then shortly after snapped the line like a piece of string. (I had the drag set a little too tight. I took care of that problem.) The biggest blue I've caught so far was 15 pounds on this pole, but this fish was much, much bigger and I don't want to lose another bigger blue becouse of the wrong test line. The only info I could find on the reel suggest 12lb test. My question is what test line could I put on without limiting the casting distance or loosing another big blue that would make me cry like a baby? You guys have an awesome site here, with lots of knowlegeable people and any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. ~Austin~

~Austin~ New Member

State:
    Texas
    If it was me, I'd use a 50 lb braid (like Power Pro or Spiderwire). It's the same diameter as 12 lb mono. :wink:

3. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Welcome to the brotherhood...

I think you would be fine with 20 or even 25lb test line..

4. Bionic Blade

Bionic Blade New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks for the replies. I'll make a run to Bass Pro Shop and pick up some twenty-twenty five pound line. That should hold anything I'm going to catch, where I fish. Any suggestions on what type of line would be great. I've never used Braided line before, only mono? Fishinphenom that's a nice cat in your Avatar how much did that monster weigh?

5. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you want to keep the casting distance, I would use braid. The 7000 series will handle 20-25lb mono easily. You can use #50 Power Pro which is the same diameter as the #12 mono and have a much stronger line and not sacrifice casting distance. I use #65 Power Pro on both my 6500 and 7000 series reels. Both cast like a dream. Good luck.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Greg Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. I would move up to Berkley Big Game 20# test line and give it a try.:0a22::0a22::0a25:

7. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    Hey, welcome to the BOC. I use 20 lb test on my Abu; I think mine holds about 150 yds of 20#. All 6000-series Abu's hold the same amount of line. It's a trade-off though; heavier line means you can't hold as much. Berkley Big Game is highly regarded around these parts.