abu garcia ambassadeur vantage vxl 5000C

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kyledbarnes, Jan 2, 2009.

1. kyledbarnes

kyledbarnes New Member

State:
    south carolina
    would this be a good reel for a team catfish 1/2 ton or maybey a 3/4 ton rod?

2. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Matching a reel to a rod,,Clamp your reel into the seat and with full spool,run your line through the guides, with your line center spool, it should be almost dead center of the main stripper guide and follow through the rest of the guides untill they break off in the same size going on to the tip..:cool2:

3. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    IMO,NO. It;s a smaller reel. Not worthy of being strapped to a rod like that.

4. kyledbarnes

kyledbarnes New Member

State:
    south carolina
    im not worried much about the size of the reel, the biggest cats that we catch around where i fish at are around 20lb. so im not worried about that, i guess what i want to know is would this be a good match on the size cats that i'm gonna be catchin, i guess i just need to find out where the bigger cats are, and how to catch em!!!!:smile2:

5. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Kenny,
    Thanks for your input on this post , sounds like great advice, it seems like I always learn something reading your comments. Many thanks to you and others like you that make the BOC so helpfull to so many people.

6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

The size of the reel comes into play when the line on a smaller reel (As you want to put on that rod)comes out and up and rubs against all the guides on the way out on the cast ,causeing it to slow down and resulting in more backlashes and shorter casting distance.:eek:oooh:

On the retreive it places a-lot of friction on the line,(Again all the way in on all guides) which may and will result in more break-offs.:eek:oooh:

7. kyledbarnes

kyledbarnes New Member

State:
    south carolina
    ok, so it doesn't really matter how big the fish are going to be just as long as the line and reel and rod are the right size for each other?:confused2:

8. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Kenny,
    I appreciate your posts and tried to rep ya on this one, but I gotta pass it around some first!!

You have motivated me to attempt to build my own rod and try it out with one of your other recent posts:cool2:

9. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    You match your rod to your reel, You don't want to put a Revo on a surf rod do you.. Thats the point I'm trying to make:cool2:

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    The reel you are referring to is a good cat reel if you get it matched to the rod. Use Braided line if line capacity might be an issue for you. 20# braid has 8# mono diameter and will increase you line capacity a bit. I have two 5000c's that I have cat fished with for 30 years. They are both still great reels.