abu garcia ambassadeur one 5000

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by bowhunter66064, Jun 5, 2008.

1. bowhunter66064

bowhunter66064 New Member

State:
    ks
    anyone used them or have one just got one was wondering how they worked on cats

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have one, the old black one. i have it on a quantum tournament grade casting rod. it is great for channels and small blues. i caught a 40 pound flathead on it and that reel was screaming for mercy. i did land her though. caught blues to 20 pounds on it and several 15-17 pound channel cats on it with no problem. it's also my go to reel for hybrid stripers. unless you're going for the big big cats it will be good for anything in the eater size range. if there's a good possibility you'll be tangling with the big stuff quite a bit, spend the extra 10 bucks and get a 6000. my .02.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have a Ambassadeur one 5000, that I use for bass fishing, its a good reel.

4. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I have a 6000 with 30# braided that I use for cats. It's a quality reel at a good price.

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    use the heck outta mine... I know there heavier reels, and I've not caught any record blues or flatties (YET) but I bet the 5000 would still haul 'em in... and then not think twice about going back for more... tuff little reel. Mine are older models and swiss made abu's if their not all swiss made and made the same I don't know.

6. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    Abu Garcia make excellent reels. They really last a while.

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Go ahead and use it. It will handle anything the 6000 will, it's got all the same gears and other parts. It's just not as wide or hold as much line as the 6000. Unless you get ahold of something that takes all your line off your reel, then you'll be OK. If fact, if it will take all your line off of your 5000, then it's a good chance he's big enough to take it off of your 6000 too. The only big advantage of the 6000 is it has a bait alarm/clicker and does hold more line if you're casting long distances from the shore.

Enjoy and have fun.