Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 7000 Baitcast Reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by AllenM, Aug 21, 2005.

1. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Having never used a baitcast, and being pretty much a spincast man because it's what I used as a kid and am only now getting back into fishing seriously, can anyone tell me if this is a good starter reel for someone in my position? I'm looking for something that can handle heavy test line, but I need something that can get some distance as most of my catfishing is done from a shoreline at Black Butte Lake or the Sacramento River. I'm hoping to use it for sturgeon and other big fish in the river as well. I'm planning to get a good river pole, maybe an ugly stick, but not sure what I'll put it on yet, so any suggestions there would help too.

Thanks! :D

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    The Ammbassadeur 7000 is a very good reel and will handle the demands you are lookin to place on it. Ya may also wanna take a look at the Penn 310. Both reels are good choices and will not dissapoint you. As far as a rod is concerned a 7 foot 1 piece M/H ugly stic is a good choice. Perhaps a custom rod from our very own GATOR CUSTOM RODS should be considered. Again,ya will be makein a fine choice that will serve ya well for years to come and it will be custom made for ya. GOOD LUCK TO YA.

3. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I love Ambassadeurs myself,so I'm going to tell ya that it's one of the best reels on the market ,if not the best.I've used them for years and I'll use them for years to come.I actually prefer the 6000 and 6500 series because I don't need all the extra line. I think the 6500 series is best all round :D You'll be pleased I'm sure :D

4. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    The 7000 is a great reel and will be right at home in your application. If you're targeting drag burners like sturgeon, be sure and upgrade to some "smoothie" drag washers. The factory drag isn't the greatest.

In terms of casting distance, you might want to look around for a surf rod in the 11' range. Ticas and Tsunamis, among others, are available for around 100 bucks that will mate with a 7000 nicely. A longer rod like this, though, will wear you out on a fish like a large sturgeon - the advantage goes to the fish in terms of leverage. It's a trade-off for increased casting distance.

Since this would be your first casting rod, use all of the brakes that are provided (2 or 4, I'm not sure which) and use a high viscosity oil or even grease in the bearings to slow them down. The reels actually come from the factory with pretty thick lube on the bearings so it's probably ok out of the box. Just be sure and add the brakes. Underspool the reel with line as well until you get the hang of it. The reel will be easier to control.

Also, do a web search for "hatteras cast" - you will find some good casting how-to info.

5. muskie_hunter

muskie_hunter New Member

State:
    New Martinsville, WV
    i have always used baitcasters and the garcias are top of the line in my opinion! the 7000 should do you a great job. i've never tried one, but shimano makes a big spincaster with an xtra drag system for your bait, called the baitrunner 6500. the next time i get a new reel this will be the one.... you might want to consider this as it seems to me it might be good for your situation... attached to a ugly stick tiger spinning rod! hope this helps...

6. Jagal

Jagal New Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    the 7000 is a great reel but it's going to take some getting used to it it definately not for the ameteur fishermen being used to spincast reels this is going to be a totally different experience so get used to a lot of backlash....but the more you practice the better you will get.

7. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    I have a 7000c3 and a 6500c3. Replaced the drag washers with Xtreme Smoothies in both when they were new, I wanted a nice smooth drag like some of the Penns I have and the Xtreme Smoothies done the trick. One thing I have noticed is the gear ratios on them is of not much importance to me. The 7000c3 has a 4.1:1 ratio and the 6500c3 has a 5.3:1 ratio. It takes alot more cranking speed to keep your bait on top the water and out of snags with the 6500c3. I suppose that could be solved with a power handle for the 6500c3. The amount of line retrieved per one revolution of the handle is more important to me. I can feel the live bait movement much better with the 6500c3 but when fishing in alot of current after the big flats I choose the 7000c3. For an all around catfishing reel I would choose the 6500c3 and it still has the muscle to haul in the big ones. The 6500c3 is alot easier for me to cast long distance. Just some of my opinions. Both are great reels and try to test them both before purchasing. Abu

8. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    I have two of the Ambassadeur 7001HS reels mounted on 9' MH Okuma rods and I love them. They are great reels like everyone above said. I don't think you will be disapointed with them. You might consider 9' rods since you are fishing from the bank. 9' is a great compromise in that you get added distance without giving up to much in the area of power. Just my 2 cents worth. :thumbsup:

9. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Hey guys, I like the sound of the smoothie washers. I don't have a 7000 yet but have several 6500's. Could you please tell me wher to get the smoothie washers. Also, are they easy to install? Other than cleaning and lubrication I don't know much about working on reels.
    Thanks in advance

whatever it takes

Cheez

10. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Cheez, I pm'd you a specific link but you can also find them via a web search for "smoothie drag washers". The prices at some of the links you will find will seem much cheaper than others. That is because that price is for fiber washers only. I recommend you also get the smoothie metal washers - they're lapped and deburred making them much flatter improving drag performance.

They are pretty simple to install - The same web search will also turn up install procedures.

If you've got any questions, send me a PM and I'll help you out.

Remember one thing that is very important - Do not use any kind of lube or grease on the washers. They should be installed dry.

/Scott

11. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    I purchase the Smoothie drag washers directly from the manufacturer by telephone (1-888-206-4656), they will set you up with the correct drag washers for your reel. They are cheaper than all of the other websites I have seen, shipping is fast and very cheap.They also have the new carbontex washers but I have never tried them, the Xtreme Smoothies always work great for me. They are easy to install. You can go to Abu Garcia's Website and click on Schematics to find the correct one for your reel. I lap my original metal washers but wouldn't recommmend it for as cheap as they are to buy. I only lap and polish them myself because I have worked on so many rifle parts and target trigger assemblies I already have all the tools on hand and like doing it myself. Abu

12. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    I found those guys last night. I've always gotten mine from Hatteras Outfitters.
    I guess I've never actually done a search for smoothies. :eek: They're definitely a little cheaper than everybody else.

13. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Thanks a bunch guys,I really appreciate the quick come back. I love the Abu reels but the one drawback they have is the factory drag. I will definitely put some of those Xtreme smoothies in my reels. I also love that Hatteras web site. Those folks are true proffesionals. Their site is crisp and clean and fast. My wife probably won't like the site much as I already have my sights set on one of those custom reels.
    Thanks again,

whatever it takes

Cheez

14. Jagal

Jagal New Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I have a 7000 and it is already incredibly smooth, the smoothest reel I own in fact. But I see a lot of you talking about smoothie washers. Are those really worth the money and effort?

15. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    do the smoothie washers have any effect on the bait clicker?? would it make it more sensitive?? i wouldnt mind the clicker being a lil more sensitive on my 6500...............whatta u think abu??

16. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    The smoothies won't effect your clicker. They're only intended to make the ABU drag more crisp and smooth helping eliminate breakoffs on large fish. Something which the factory drag is not known for.

Referring to your clicker, I'm not sure what you mean by wanting it "more sensitive", can you elaborate?

Jagal, the smoothie upgrade is actually quite inexpensive. The can be had for $15 bucks or less depending on what site you buy them from. Installation is as simple as pulling right side plate of your reel and replacing the existing drag washers with the upgrade. They are a SIGNIFICANT improvement over the factory drag.

/Scott

17. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    i mean just letting it click easier.........i know with nice shovel heads it doesnt matter, they either take it or they dont..........but channels seem more aware and they drop it when they feel the tension

18. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Got it - I haven't heard of anybody making that type of mod to their clickers. I actually wish the clickers on my 6500s were a little stiffer since any kind of movement or current causes it to surge. Keeps me awake anyway :D
    I would be concerned myself, that a fast moving fish could cause my reel to backlash if the clicker is too weak. Even at it's current strength, keeping a reel in freespool with the clicker on while fishing in the surf is a big no-no since that could very possible happen. Easy way to lose a rod :sad: It's not quite as risky with Cats, but it's something to consider anyway.

I know of some that have made them louder by filing off every other tooth on the clicker gear which makes it more "raspy" and easier to hear. This is in a surf fishing application also where it is hard to hear over the surf and wind.

Hope this helps a little.

/Scott

19. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    yeah i would probally be better off leaving it alone.........ive opened it up a few times to clean it out , put it back together right somehow??lol........well i didnt get too far into it......pretty much just took the cap off of both sides and rinsed really good and lubed up..........thanks brother

20. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    BassMassey... You could loosen your spool tension knob all the way on your 6500 and it makes it easier for a fish to take line with the clicker on. I would rather mine be tighter for all the reasons gottafish already gave. If you tighten your spool tension knob as tight as you can it is harder for a fish to pull line with the clicker on but it is also alot harder reeling in your line. I fish with my rod and reel in a rodholder with the spool tension knob adjusted with the least amount of tension and use my thumb for a brake when casting. When my bait hits the water I lock my spool and turn the clicker on and set my star drag with enough tension for the flat to hook himself on a circle hook, after he is hooked I tighten the drag down as I bring him in. If you remove the centrifugal brake blocks from your 6500 it will cast alot further but it is harder to control backlashes and I have to have my thumb on the spool from the start of the cast till the bait hits the water. I hate to think about all the line I have lost to backlashes while I was learning so if you decide to try it I would buy the cheapest line I could find to practice with. :)
    Abu