Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6600BCX

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by iluvcatfishin, Jun 13, 2008.

1. iluvcatfishin

iluvcatfishin New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Anyone using the ABU GARCIA AMBASSADEUR 6600BCX? I got one today for $42. Thought it was a good deal so I went ahead and purchased it.

I have 6600 D5 and it has been a good reel so I thought the 6600 BCX would be just as good. If anyone uses one I would like to get some feedback.

Thanks

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    A friend of mine was at Wal Mart a few weeks back looking at them and almost bought one, till he looked at it real close. He told me that it looked and felt so much cheaper and "flimsier" than the 6500 I built him that he passed it up. Don't know how well they hold up compared to the regular 6000/6500 reels. I'd be interested to know from someone who really put one through it's paces side to side to one of the old ones.

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    That reel is made for walmart it is a cheap line that they make and they don't list them on ther web site and i looked in my 2008 catalog that we buy from and they are not listed either hope this helps and that is a another way to get a peice of the pie and i think you will find some changes coming soon being Pure Fishing has bought them #1 they are making them in China now just like there A20 line counter not a real good reel they made that one to compete with Okuma and Dawia chep line counters

4. iluvcatfishin

iluvcatfishin New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well, Hate hear it is a cheap Walmart version. I guess Ill try to put it to a test and see what happens. I actually bought it for my dad so we can do some river fishing together. I guess we'll see how it goes. I was going to buy him a 6000 like mine. Wish I had of now.

5. rogers7

rogers7 Member

State:
    Stanton, KY
    My wife has a 6600BCX and loves it. It has a smoothe cast, and in comparision to my 6000's it throws smoother and further. My only complaint is the plastic release, and surround on the levelwind....no problems, but plastic makes me nervous. If you go to their website you can find them under new products and download their schematics. They aren't a Wal-mart exclusive....Cabela's and Basspro both carry them them.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My fishing Partner has one...The worm gear went out on the second trip, he got that fixed now the reel has problems engaging after the cast..

I am a big ABU fan, and I have many abu reels, but the 6600 bcx is not a very good reel..But hey I hope it works ok for you.

7. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    i have a 6600 bcx and its not that good, i have trouble getting the reel to engage, it might last me this season if i dont use it too much but i dont expect it to last. and also the clicker is extremely hard to pull out, my rod completely doubles over before it clicks a little bit, i plan on getting a 6500 pro rocket to replace this one