Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5000

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by ste6168, Mar 1, 2009.

1. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hello. I just got one of these reels today (for free) and the original owner, nor me, know anything about it. All I can tell you is that its and Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5000 Winch w/ a gear ratio of 3.8:1. Has anybody ever heard of this reel? Know anything about it?

I have a asecond question also. I am fairly sure this is fixable, but for some reason the reel was working fine, but I was playing with it a little bit and now when I reel the handle, the spool doesn't spin and the line roller no longer moves back and forth. Any ideas on that? If not, I am going to try and take it to a local shop and have it looked at.

Thanks, Ste

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi, Not real familiar with that particular model,, but, if it has a star drag, try tightening that up a bit, and see if the mechanisms start working..

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

That would be the first thing i'd try also. If that doesn't work try turning the reel upside down and reeling. If it works then I'd say you need to replace the pawl. I've had reels do that before and it was the pawl, very easy to fix yourself. Sounds like you got a heck of a deal on it...:wink:

4. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Check the drag it is either too tight or too loose. Does this reel have a bait clicker alarm. I have abu garcia 6500/6600, great reels. I also have a old abu garcia 2000, no clicker though.

5. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    the best thing to do is to download a pdf of the parts...heres a website http://www.reeldr.com/SCHEMATICS/ABU/index.html . there may be a few differences in models of the 5000 but they are all generally the same. just take it apart and see how things work. then you'll be able to show the reel shop guy what's wrong without him fabricating a problem because you don't know anything about it. as for the reel quality, i've owned 3 5000's throughout my life and love them to death for small river or lake fishing. my first 20lb flathead was on a refurbished 5000 and it did great.

6. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA

Well, you guys were all right. Shows how new I am to the world of baitcasters, the star drag fixed my problem. The reel doesn't have a baitclicker, but I cant really complain as it was free. I don't think I will use it that often for cats. Will more than likely put it on a musky rod. The only thing that I don't like about it is the 3.8:1 ratio (thats soo low!). Itll work though!

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Can u post a pic? It may be possible to install a left side plate, that will allow a clicker to be installed, and also, there's a thread on here somewhere on how to Modify a similar model, to have a clicker..w/ the existing sideplate.
    If the foot number is provided, and exact model determined, it may be that it can be compared to another model with a higher ratio,,,and the appropriate parts exchanged to get that done,,,
    Glad it's working,,, The price for repair was just about right...!!!!!:smile2:

8. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
  9. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    The reel posted on the ebay site should be a 5.3to1 ratio. I have several of these reels, some of which are 30 years old and still going strong. Take care of your reel and it will provide many years of reliable use.

10. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ok, maybe the one there, but I am not lying when I say the one I have says its a 3.8:1 :wink:. Who Knows, I will probably use it as-is, unless I find a cheap/easy way to upgrade the gearing to a 5.0:1 or higher...

11. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi Mike, I looked at the schematic online,, and I believe you have a 2-speed reel,, it should somehow, have the lower ratio,, 3.8,, and then also have something like a 5.3
    It's called a winch, and the model I looked at has the different components inside the right sideplate for the 2 speed provision,, A pretty cool set-up, I've been kinda looking for one myself in the 6500 series..
    I've never handled one, so I don't know a lot about those, but, I like the idea of the 2 speed.. Nice unit.

12. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    So, do you have any idea how to change the gear ratios? I would like to set it (or make sure it already is) at the higher gear ratio... if possible

Thanks for the help everyone!

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    No, I don't have any experience with those,,But,,, From looking at the schematic,, it may be an "Automatic" feature, that is subject to the load at hand,,I'm grasping at straws here..
    What I would do ,, is spool up some line, and tie it off to something,, and put a load on it and reel it, then take the load away and reel and see if the thing changes the ratio,,
    You can count the spool revolutions in relation to the handle revolution,,
    There may be some simple selector on the controls also,,, Just don't know,,, mess with it and see,, Be interesting to fool with it some.
    Maybe someone else has some experience with this type of reel, and it may not be what I'm suggesting, but, from looking at the schematic, it looks different from a regular C3 or similar.
    Also, it looks to have only one drag washer,,
    IF you figure something out, let us know.. :wink:

14. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    Hi if based on the ebay pic thats not a 2 speed

two speeds, have another round knob beside the star to adjust where the low gear kicks in. You have to tighten the star a little and then set the low gears drag.

I personally think that your reel is a just a 3.8:1. Would love to have a low speed gear like this.

15. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Me too. Why would you want the low gear though? It would work well for cats I guess, but for musky I don't think it will work too great

16. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA

From a using point of view, I like lower speed for the ease of cranking. I use 6.3 for surfcasting. Slower speed gears usually last better.

17. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nope, it's "toast"! If you'll send it to me, I'll help dispose of it for ya:smile2:

18. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I agree! this guy is a superhero!!!!!!!!!!!:wink:

19. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    I actually just bought a lot of 3 abu baitcasters off ebay and the 5000 was one of them. While being the oldest of the three, it still cranked like a new one :roll_eyes:. The only thing i didnt like about it is it has a smaller crank on it and i hit my knuckles on it if i dont watch. But it will serve as a fantastic third string reel If i would ever need it.

Needless to say, free is our friend and you should be able to clean that baby up and use it for a long time. Happy Fishing!

Tang

20. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    oops. I did not read page 2, or 3.