Abu garcia amb. 6500/penn 2/309?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Catfishboy1995, Nov 19, 2009.

Reel Choice?

1. Ambassedur 6500

2. Penn 309

3. Penn 209

4. Other Please specify

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Hey fellas, My mom asked what i want for christmas and these 2 reels i think shopld be simple for my mom to find at bass pro...and i like them..I was wondering which one i should get? and a decent rod recomendation.

*EDIT* I keep putting 6500...What i meant is BCX 6600..sorry..lmao

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  2. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    Oops, I selected 6600 bcx before I read the rest of your post. There's a world of difference between the two, and my 6600 BCX broke within a month of light use (worm gear/pawl locked up). Given those choices, I'd go Penn all the way; just get one that fits your needs. Personally, the 209 would have plenty of line capacity for me (my 6500c3 has less than that), and they are known for being quality, reliable reels.

As for rods, Ugly Stik Tigers are highly regarded around here, as are Berkely Lightning Rods, and others that I'm forgetting. I personally use an Abu Garcia "Colonon Premier" because I like its features better than anything else Wal-Mart had, and it's sexier than the other rods too (I like red). :wink: Again, whatever model you get, make sure it's specs fit your needs/preferences (action, strength, length, etc).

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea, I didn't notice the BCX clarification on the poll.. Wouldn't have one,,because I've already had one..

From the rest of your choices,, I'd have to go with "other" and recommend an Abu Garcia 6500 in some configuration..unless you need a bit larger, then go with the AG 7000!!

I'm not real familiar with the Penn models,,and, to include a few AG models, be sure if you want levelwind, they have levelwind, and that they automatically engage the spool when you crank the handle,,of, course,, bait clickers!!!
    :big_smile:

4. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Thanks for the replay you too dan..lmao...yes i wouldnt buy a reel without levlewind and i love my clickers..as most doo.lol..i didnt know theyu mad bait caster that dontengage the spool...ill look into those reels tonight!!!

5. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    I am very partial to Abu. Just retired my 6500 of 17 years. Replaced it with a new one.

6. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    I didn't see it either till it was mentioned the 6600 bcx is junk I got one on a trade and blowed up inside just casting it if you cant get a 6500 then go with penn and if can get a 6500 make sure it made sweden

7. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Rich i voted abu thats my fave but to be onest you can not go wrong with abu or penn they are both first class reels

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    If you want a good and smooth reel then you will want the Abu 6500.

9. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    i just got two penn 209's and i love them! more line capacity than i'll ever need and smooth winching.

10. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I own the Abu 6500C3, Penn 309 and a Penn 320GT2. As much as I love the casting distance of the 6500, with 1 oz higher I can thrown the 320GT2 just as far, the 309 is more of a winch, the 320 is the best of both worlds, so Im going with the 320 its my favorite of all my reels: balls, smoothness, distance, can handle any fish, has a very loud and great clicker, top notch drag and can pull any stump out of the water. I cannot believe no one has recommended that reel. alot of people have never used it, but in my opinion it is the best reel on the market as far as a complete package/price. You show me a reel on the market brand new out of the box in its price range that can do everything it can do for $75.

11. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    It's hard to go wrong with a 6500 or 7000

12. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Thanks...i ended up going with another 7000i...i still need to find a good rod to go with it that will hold 8 oz no-rolls!!

13. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I like the Abus an awful lot. I would go with the Abu. I've been using them since the early 1970's and they have never let me down. I still have one of the first pair I bought and uncle has the other one. Both still work just fine.
    There are a lot of good rods out there. So it depends on wheather you are going after supersize flat and blues or channels.

14. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    hard to go wrong with a 6500

15. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    Garcia Is a better reel than penn anyday, they are both good reels but the garcia is easier to operate the bait clicker is better, garcia cast better, and the garcia automatically stops the line release when you turn the handle and the penn doesn't.The penn cost less for a reason:wink: good luck:tounge_out:

16. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    They are both fine reels, have several of each size really good reels.:cool2:

17. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    got me a 6600 c4, best reel i got, next im gettin a 7000 series, not sure what one yet, but abu definitely beats out penn in my book

18. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have 3 new 6500C and like them. Was given another that was found in the bottom of a lake. In process of getting it cleaned back up. Perhaps the original owner didn't like them as well as me, or he's sick cause he lost it.:tounge_out:

19. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Have you used both or just stating someone else's say so cause I own both and I can cast my Penn 320GT2 further than my 7000i with any weight and just as far as my 6500. But the penn has a better clicker, drag, holds more line and is a winch, the abu is smoother. I have caught 50lb fish on the 6500 and the 320 but it was easier to get them in with the penn although the penn had a tiger and the abu a glowstick so I give them a tie because the penn was cheaper than the 6500 but I got my 7000 on a hook up cheaper than both. Now my 309 doesnt compare to the abu's as far as casting but it has a better drag, clicker and can reel in anything better than the 7000 or 6500 series due to it being bigger but I bet a 10000 abu would be equal so please make sure you have experience with both before you reply