Abu Garcia 9000

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Bravesnflat25, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Bravesnflat25

Bravesnflat25 New Member

State:
    Anderson
    I was wanting to know if anybody owns the 9000 or the 10000. If so what kind of rod do you got it on and what type of line are you using with it. On mine I got a Ugly Stick Catfish 7ft. To me this reel feels a little to big for this rod. I really like this reel but I am having problems getting it to through. This is not for sure my 6500. LOL. All info will help

2. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Iv got one and I love it,It is the best cat reel made in my book.Iv got stren Heavy Cover 30lb on it And my rod is a 9' Med hev custom from Irland.My Big brother Wayne had it built It has 11 eye's on it It is the most awesome rod ever.You just keep that reel and keep your eyes open and you will find the right rod for it but I dont think you will find it in a wal-mart or a store like that,Look twords a salt water shop or sonething like that or Gater here on this site everybody say's He is the man to go to to get a rod built.Good luck and if you find that you dont like the reel let know and will help you out of it $$$. Patrick...

3. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dustin, try a longer rod...I have the 7000 and found that I could cast much easier on a 10ft rod, I think it makes it balance better.
    Beetle

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I have 2 7000's and 1 9000 and they are all on 14 ft. fenwick's.

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    The 9000 is alright abit rough with the drag though. I have mine on a med/hvy surge rod.

6. Bravesnflat25

Bravesnflat25 New Member

State:
    Anderson
    Hey I switched the rod from the 7ft to a 9ft and it throws like a dream. Thanks For All the help.

7. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Hello
    I have my Big Game 9000 on a Shakespeare 7' Ugly Stik Tiger. I have 40lb Big Cat Solar Green on it. Both work flawlessly.
    They always said you catch your biggest fish on your smallest rod. This is my biggest set up although not by much. And i had my biggest cat ever on this rod at 3 in the morning.
    Wife and I were sleeping when he bit and started pulling string out. Clicker was sounding like someone was casting it with the clicker on as he pulled out string. He had that Tiger bent in a U surfacing twice so we could get a good look at him. The wife and I have caught some big flats but she said you are not pulling that fish in this boat. Our friends were in a cruiser next to us and were watching everything go on. We fought this fish for about 20 minutes and had him at the swim platform 3 different times. The last time we had him up at the platform he snapped a 30lb steel leader and had his freedom. What a rush. We estimated this flat to weigh 60 to 80 lbs but will never know. Just hollored out in the dark to him " Good job buddy, thanks, maybe someday will you give me another shot".
    Couldnt sleep the rest the night. Just kept running that fight and vision thru my mind over and over again. To me even though I didnt land him it doesnt get anybetter than that. He would of got his freedom anyway. I think he just didnt want pic taken.
    Anyway, the BG9000 and Ugly Stik Tiger performed to the max. Great set up.
    Only thing I feel bad about is i make my own steel leaders. But will keep that a secret.

Tight Lines
    Danny J