Abu Garcia 7000i

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by ramon06, Nov 30, 2009.

1. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Now Im just getting hip to Abu Garcia, I have always heard of them and wanted to try them but I've always felt they were overpriced. About 2 months ago I finally purchased a 6500C3 for $100 from a local shop. I like the reel it is very smooth and casts extremly far. My biggest fish on it so far is a 44LB Blue. My only gripes are the inferior clicker, the fact that its a little smaller than I like and of course the price :smile2:. The first Abu I ever saw in person was a silver 7000iHSN at Academy and it was the smoothest reel I have ever held, cranked, etc. I always wanted that reel but it was $149 :eek:oooh:. Online the cheapest I have seen it was $125. Well I went into a local sporting goods store today and found a red 7000i for $109, they have the reel with an Abu MH 7' Rod/combo for $129 :crazy: . I had all intentions on purchasing this reel from the store but when I got home today I found a red 7000i on ebay brand new with no box for $69.99 plus $7 shipping. It is a preferred seller with 100% feedback so I took the chance at ordering it. The store spools braid for $.08 a yard so I can get 300 yds of red, green or yellow for $24 bringing my total to a brand new 7000i with 300yds of PP for $100 even. Can anyone give me a reason why I made a mistake? Just wanna make sure I didnt make a dumb decision.

2. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think that sounds like a good play. I like Abu Garcia, I have the 10000 and the next reel i buy will likely be a 7000i. My buddy has 1 of them and has never had a problem, really likes the reel. Some people are against the 7000i red reels because they are the lower end of the Abu Line, and they are sold at wally world. Really it doesn't matter to me (and shouldn't anyone really) as long as the reel performs and does what its supposed to. My friend has had his for a few years now and has had 0 problems. Best of luck with your new purchase and go stick a pig.

3. hookslinger

hookslinger Member Supporting Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Name:
    Tony
    I have a couple 7000i's, work pretty good. They don't have a casting brakes like the 6500 so won't cast as far. I use mine for live bait and handle the weight good.

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Ramon you did good brother i like you want one bad gota do some saving matter fact i am saving now

5. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I love my7000i but is a bit overkill for the lake fishing i do but is great for the river fishing or large bait fishing,
    I have moved to the 6500s for lake fishing but would like a couple more 7000i s. I put mine on a tiger rod medium action that can be equally used on rivers or lakes.

6. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    that is a good reel its a little bulky to me so i'm sticking with my 6500 it just as strong but you got the 7000i at a good deal the wal-mart here carries that reel reel and it 100.00 for just the reel

7. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Ramon I have the older 7000's silver and it does cast. The red ones use to have bushings instead of bearings, I'm not sure if thats still the case. Still you made a good buy if the reel is in good shape. You can always upgrade later with bearings if it does have bushings. Good luck let us know how it goes. Oh and I am big on abu's I have a big collection.

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

My friends use 7000 ABUs for sharkfishing so it should handle any blue or flat. They may not cast as far as the 6500s, but provide more power and torque.

9. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    they do have a bushing instead of a bearing but like said you can upgrade if you want but if you are boat fishing the bushing is fine and in most cases its fine on the bank to i still want one bushing or not lol

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yes, I agree,, the red ones are fine.. I've converted a few to bearings, and carbon drags..
    have even switched out a few sideplates as I find them, mainly for different coloring!!
    And, have a few stock ones around!!

11. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    I have a 7000i and had it for 5 years with no problems with a little practice you can cast it just as far.
    I have mine spooled with 30lb big game and can cast it a country mile.

12. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Thats exactly what im gonna use the reel for. I have a big Penn 309 on a H/James River Rod I like to use big live bait on and now I can use the 7000i for live bait 3-6 inches.

13. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    so is the performance from the regular ones and the ones you upgraded with the bearings and drag nite and day or is it not much difference? I mean as far as casting distance and power of the drag?

14. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks thats what I wanted to know. I hate throwing my baits with my Penn 309 on a Heavy James River rod very far cause they fly off. I catch nice flats on it, well up to 22LBs but I have to lobb them cause the hook with 8 oz of weight just ripps through them If I try to cast it far. I figured the 7000i with 80# PP and a 5 oz should get me pretty far. Thinking of matching it with a MH TWC Rod, an Ugly Stick Tiger or I can take my Okuma 450 off my 7'6" Quantum Big Cat and put it on a James River rod and put the 7000i on the Big Cat rod. Hmmmmm Choices, anybody wanna make recommendations

15. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi Ramon,
    I can notice the difference between bearings and bushings,, the bearings have a lot less friction while casting,,very smooth and free flowing,,,and, that's not with the ceramic bearings, just the metal ball bearings. I'm looking forward to trying the ceramic bearings, but, haven't as of yet.
    The drag washers, I've not noticed a huge difference,, and use both stock and carbon.. however, I also use my thumb as a drag at times...with both types,,,and, I adjust drag quite a bit during the course of bringing in fish. I set up my rigs differently depending on the water I'm in, bait I'm using, # of line test. and If I'm gonna doze off or not!!

16. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    bought a 7' MH Ugly Stick Tiger rod today at Bass Pro, I prefer 8' rods as I do a mixture of bank and boat fishing and the 8' gets me the distance I need from the bank. So since abu casts a little further than penn im thinking about putting the 7000 on the Tiger but due to the size i may take the penn 320GT2 off the glow stick put it on the tiger and put the 7000 on the glow stick....hmmm decisions decisions. Its definetly getting 300 yds of 80# PP

17. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I know who that guy is and ou didnt even have to tell me his name...he sells some awesome reels at GREAT prices i got my 7000i and 7000iHSN from him and i got them within 7 days and they were packaged with great care and they were exactally as described...He measuered the scratch on the 7000i and i couldnt believe he gave me the size of the scratch...i will deffinatally be buying from that feller again!!!!!!!!!!!

18. stringbean

stringbean New Member

State:
    va
    i have four 7000s two on tiger mh and two on mh customs and prefer the tigers over the customs but the customs are excellent rods also i also have six 9000 big game and have a few of those an tigers and customs and same deal on the will upgrade to all tigers soon and the 7000 can handle any fish on the james with no struggle at all and i have seen it ​

19. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I have 16 Abu's and love every one of them. I have 5000's, 5500C's, 6000C's, 6500C's. They are the best reels I have ever used for catfishing.
    I have some of those low profile bass reels, Diawa, Shimano...,but they are just that, bass reels and wouldn't hold up to a brute of a blue, plus they don't hold much line.
    I feel you made the right decision in getting that 7,000 off Ebay. For that price, even a repair down the line should still keep you below the brand new price.
    Good luck with that reel.

20. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Thank you all for your replies, help and recommendations. I now have the yellow 80#PP, a 7/0 Daiichi on a carolina rig, and either the glow stick or tiger waiting on it. It shipped yesterday so Im guessing it will be here tomorrow or friday just in time for my usual weekend trip to the james :roll_eyes:. Im now dreaming of an 80LBer