Abu Garcia 7000i Combo Questions

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by PWillis, Jun 16, 2008.

1. PWillis

PWillis New Member

State:
    Ninnekah, Oklah
    There is a tackle shop that I frequent and they have an Abu Garcia 7000i Rod/Reel combo with like a 7ft. MH rod that is also an Abu Garcia. I am sure the rod is really a "Made in China" special but it keeps catching my eye. It looks like a REALLY tuff setup.

The price tag on it now is $125.00 for the whole shabang. I looked at wally world lastnight and that same reel is for $104.00 I believe. What do you think? Should I buy the combo? What are your opinions of the reel? What would a reel that size be used for? If I get it I plan on catfishing with it. Would that be overkill? Just looking for some info. If I did get it what would you spool it with as far as lb. test, etc.

I dont have any experience with bait casters for catfishing but I do like the idea of it. I use a 7yr. old spincast Tiger combo 6'6" as one setup and the other is a new Zebco 808 on a Berkly Big Game 6'6" rod. Should I get it or will I regret it? $125 for that combo seems very reasonable if I get just the reel for $104. Help me plz.

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I thaink i would invest a little more and buy a 7000c3 it has bearings instead of bushings and will last a life time if you take care of it and there a lot of rods out there for under 30.00 Are you can look at the 6500c3 or 6600d4 and still have a better reel then the 7000i just my thoughts and i own a 6 garcia's from 5500c3 to 7000 pro rockets, you can also look at shimano TR200G,Okuma CL300L or the Shakespeare Tide water line these reels are also good there a lot on here useing the Tidewaters So when you ask for a opion on here you will get a bunch of answers . And another good thing to do is go with someone and try theres out because this is a major investment and we want you to be happy with your chioce. Hope this helps and good luck:big_smile:

3. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I have 3 Abu Garcia 7000i's and absolutely love them!!! I have mine spooled with 80 lb power pro (hi-vis yellow). Sounds like a great deal to me!

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Another thought on the Abu 7000i, if you get it, fish with it for awhile, later on you can upgrade the bushings to bearings, and upgrade the drag. Basically you can turn the "i" into a "ic3". Abu Garcia round reels are like small block Chevys, parts are easy to come by and they live forever. Good luck, WRB.

5. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    With proper care, that reel will last a lifetime. People need to remember that Garcia's were made for decades before they started putting bearings in them instead of bushings. What model is the rod that comes with the combo? The only reason I ask is because there are numerous places on the internet where you can get that reel for around $85, maybe even less. Is it a rod that's worth $40-$45? If it's a $20 rod quality wise, then the combo isn't such a good deal, you know?

6. PWillis

PWillis New Member

State:
    Ninnekah, Oklah
    I just got off the phone with a lady there and this is what she said as far as the Model # on the rod. AMBC 701 MH 7ft. MH Action 15-30lb line and the reel is a 7000i. Had her make sure of that.

On rods... what is exactly ment by the 15-30 lb. line? I would lilke to spool it with that Shakespere red Cajun line just for looks I guess with like 20lb.

IDK though

7. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Catfish Connection has a 7000i and 8ft rod combo for $100.

8. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Pwilly, Don't worry about the line weight, put what ever pound test you want.I use the 7000 Ic3 w/ 100lb. power pro. once you learn to use a baitcaster you'll never go back. I personally don't like cajun red, it is to stiff and has memory. You might want to try a braided line. It has a small dia. and is very strong but, use a mono. leader for abrasion resistant's.

9. nicdicarlo

nicdicarlo New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvani
    Pwilly, I got a 7000i for christmas and love it so far. Guys will debate bushings vs. bearings till the cows come home. The fact is, you won't be constantly casting and retrieving with this reel. For this reason, I think the bushings are fine and as someone else said, you can always upgrade to bearings. I have it mounted on a 7'6" MH BigCat and its perfectly balanced. I also fish a lot with a 6500C3, which is a great reel, but doesn't have the beef of the 7000i. One thing to consider, is that the 7000i is much heavier and considerably larger than a 6500 series, which could make it slightly harder to cast for a beginner baitcaster. It also has more of slow winching gear ratio and a lever release for the spool, instead of a push button. The lever looks sweeeet!

Go to catfish connection and get the reel for 85 or a combo for about 100. Both great deals in my opinion.

10. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    don't know much about the rod but i have two 7000s and a 7000c. have fished with them 20 plus years. the only thing i have done to them is oil them. great reels. i would spool it up with the cheapest line possible. learn to throw it. then get some good line on it. as far as rods go, i seem to be in the minority, but, i prefer longer rods. all mine are 10-15 ft. i think a lot of this has to do with most people have never used a good long rod. more leverage, cast farther and it helps you from getting hung on the retrieve by keeping your rod tip high. they are more cumbersome though. like anything else you gain some here and give some up there. btw where abouts in ok. is ninnekah?

11. wesmcbride28

wesmcbride28 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I bought a 7000i last year and love it. It was the first baitcaster I was able to use easily it only took me a few trips to get the hang of it. I have it mounted on a BWLB 1101 7' 0" MH Ugly Stik. just my opinion good luck

12. PWillis

PWillis New Member

State:
    Ninnekah, Oklah
    Thank you all for your posts. I tried to thank each one of you if not I am sorry.

I did like the post about getting cheap line and learning how to cast it and then re spool with good line. I guess I should have mentioned that I have 3 bait casters that I use regularly for bass fishing. A cheap Shakespeare, and a 5000 ONE Garcia and an Orange 6600 Rocket so I can cast a bait caster but I am also sure that casting a lure and a catfish rig with weights and bait is probably a bit trickier.

Ninnekah is 5 miles south of Chickasha; and Chichasha is 30 minutes south of OKC.

I regret to inform you guys that it does not look like I will be able to get the combo I am wanting. My better half has decided to get back into that realm of credit card debt... with my credit card. She has neglected to inform me until I found out from card holder services that my bill is overdue and overlimit. So now I am going to get to make some big sacrafices that I dont want to do. I am sure I will sell a few guns and such. DirecTV may get shut down to make a point also. I cut that dude up like 6 months ago and she has been hiding the bills from me. IDK what to do. I am at a loss. I promise more is involved but I feel like I have shared too much already.

13. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Pwillis - Sorry to hear about your misfortune... There are some great cheaper rigs if you are in need of something. Tidewaters run for 40.00 on the high end... the newer models aren't horrible and tons of guys on here use them, I personally have 2 that I use to wrench in bigger fish out of rocks and snags work great, as far as casting them, well... that is a little different. I am an abu man myself, but am looking at the penn 209's and 309's for my next reel. I love the wrenching power and they cast a lot smoother then expected!

Good luck!

P.S. Don't ever think you have shared too much unless it is out of your rhelm of comfort, we are all family here and family includes EVERYTHING not just the biggest catch. We all go through little ruts here and there...

14. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Check out catfish connection prices !!!!!!!!!!!

15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I just bought 2 7000i's yesterday, paid $109 each. plus abu offers a $10.00 rebate per reel ($99 a piece)
    Make sure if you buy one off the net the $ you see includes shipping also.
    I'm all for supporting the local dealer though if you have one near by:wink:

16. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a good set up and it is more than likely worth the money

Consider this. You can pick up a Shakespere Tidewater reel for 35 dollars and a berkley big game rod for 20. This combo is good enough for the average to amateur fisherman. I have 8 of them and could not be happier.

17. TexDan

TexDan New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have a 7000i in my future. I not only don't mind the bushings, I actually prefer them on my catfishing reels. Bearings are great things when you are shooting out hundreds of casts a day but for bait fishing they just are not priorities. bearings are also a must when trying to throw light weight lures like unweighted plastic worms. When you are going to hang a 4 or more ounces of lead on the end of your line it doesn't matter.

As long as the rod is concerned, I usually double the line recommendations on the rod if I am going to use braid. You want a somewhat softer rod with braid than mono so it will give you a little cushion when you set the hook and when the fish is near the boat. With mono this is isn't necessary. If your rod is too stiff you will experience more pull outs and more line snaps on the hook set.

18. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats sounds like a nice deal, but I dont buy combos I buy my reels first then I chose a another brand for the rod I want.

19. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Last year I bought an Abu Garcia 7000C3 from Bass Pro Shop - Got it home noticed the "Made in Sweden" stamp was missing on the side and then found the "Made in China" sticker on the foot of the reel. Took it back and have been buying nothing but Avets (MXL 6/4) ever since.