Abu Garcia 7000i C3 or Penn 330GT?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Hummers4, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Hummers4

Hummers4 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm new to catfishing and need advice on selecting rods. I'll be fishing the James River in Virginia and hear countless stories of 40, 50 & 60#+ cats being caught. I love my bassfishin' Abu 5600C4's and am leaning toward Abu 7000i C3's, but a local tackle shop is suggesting a Penn 330GT's. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The penn is probably an all around stronger reel than the abu 7000.

But I dont like the penns beacuse I cant cast them very far.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Me personally, I like my Abu 7000's . I think it's gonna just come down to personal choice. Both are great reels and ya can't go wrong with either.....thats for sure. Just get the gear ratio reel your gonna need. I myself don't like to slow of a winching ratio reel. I want something to turn a fish on a dime but yet still need power. My Abu does that for me.

-Jim-

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bob Welcome to the BOC, from So.Illinois. Both are good reels but the weight of the Penn 330 will be heavier . I like the 7000C3 myself.:0a23::0a25::0a25:

5. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I vote 7000iC3... I just like Abu, The Penn is nice too...

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Pflueger contender G30 :wink:

7. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bob,

Frist of all welcome to the BOC and now to answer you question. This will boil down to your matter of choice most of the main reels are now made by Pure Fishing . If you read the threads it looks like the reels of choice will be the Abu's 6500cs and 7000c3 I own Abu's ,Penn, Depth masters, Shimano's, and Okauma And there all good reels. My go to reel that I use 80% of the time is my Abu 7000c3 Pro Rocket with 30# big game on a 7' Tidewater M/H and when it is tuned rite you can cast it a mile very,very smooth reel the only other reel that really compares to it ( my opinion only ) is my Shimano Tekota I hope this helps you out and good luck fishing if I can help you any further just PM me

8. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    I HAVE THE ABU7000 AND A PENN320GT2 AND I LIKE THEM BOTH.THE 330 IS A HUGE REEL. I CAN'T IMAGINE USING THAT FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN WORLD RECORDS, HELL THE 320 WOULD HANDLE ANY CATFISH ANYWAY. THE BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE ABU AND THE PENN IS WITH THE PENN YOU HAVE TO MANUALLY RE-ENGAGE THE REEL FROM FREE SPOOL. WITH THE ABU THIS CAN BE DONE BY TURNING THE HANDLE. THE ABU COSTS A LITTLE MORE TOO. FOR BIG BLUES EITHER WILL WORK, IT KIND OF BOILS DOWN TO PRICE AND PREFERANCE.

9. Hummers4

Hummers4 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Gents!

Thanks for the warm welcome & great feedback! I've decided to try BOTH the Abu Garcia 7000iC3 and the Penn 330GT. I'll keep you posted on their performance and comparison. Again, thanks to all who have shared their opinions. I'm glad I joined this club!

Bob

10. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It is hard to compare two fine reels like the 7000 and 330 it comes down to what you are looking for and your personal taste. You will hear some say abu while others say penn it comes down to what you want.

11. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Both are nice I would go with the Penn though but I wouldn't get a 330 gti, I had one & sold it, it's way to heavy for me. I would go with either the 310 or 320 gti but I think the Abu 7000 is a smoother casting reel but in my opinion you can't beat a U.S. made Penn's drag system. Good luck, I hope this helps.

12. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    One of my friends just bought 6 320GT2 reels and they are really nice, he also has one 330 but the only difference is the spool size so just get the 320GT2 reels and they will work great for you