Abu Garcia 7000

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by AzHeadHunter, Jul 20, 2009.

1. AzHeadHunter

AzHeadHunter New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey folks,

I've been reading some of the treads on here about the Abu Garcia 6500 and 7000. I've seen a few threads stating that these reels can be modifed or up graded to make them perform better for casting and reeling.

Well I have 2 Abu Garcia 7000 not sure what model but it say's "High Speed" on the reels and there made in Sweden. Can any one give me some suggestions on modifications I can make on these reels to get better performance out of them. I read some where that you can change the bearing on them? Thanks your time and info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  2. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009

3. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC JD. Jackpot!!!

4. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    You'll get quite a boost by doing the drag but that isn't casting. I don't think anything really helps reeling but you'll get a big boost by adjusting the brake blocks to suit you and a proper cleaning and oiling. Different weights of oil will make it faster/slower.

5. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

6. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    mikesreelrepair.com has some upgrades. Bearings, drags, ceramic pawls, and even a kit to add a bearing on the worm gear.

7. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    The mikesreelrepair is in Canada, would you by chance know of anybody in the U.S. so it wont take forever and a day for parts to get here....?

8. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I ordered from there and it didn't seem to take any longer than other places I order from that are in the U.S. In fact I think I got my order from there faster than I did from a U.S. based company that I ordered on the same day.

9. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Ok, so I just order 1 spring from a supplier in Texas, and 2 from a supplier in Canada. I am just trying to make sure I get one by Friday, we will see.

I just know I am not going to be sitting on the bank any longer and my clicker break and not be able to fix it!

If anybody else needs 1 in a pinch, just look me up.

The model reel is the 6600 BCX, yes, I bought one of the low end retail reels. I was desperate to try it out...

And NO, I dont have any complaints about it, except I have to wait at least 2 - 3 days for a part!

10. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Welcome to the BOC, Mr. JD.

Thanks for the links, Kenny

11. WaltonsMountain

WaltonsMountain New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I've read that the 7000 models are strictly made in China... is this true? I'd like a 7000 but i'd like the craftsmanship of a swedish made reel.

12. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    The high end reels still are made in sweden, I believe. There are a lot of used ones out there too. A lot of parts made one place, assembled in sweden too.

13. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    check with snagged2 he does a lot of modifying, and he is from arizona also

14. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a 7000iCS Pro Rocket made in China and I could not imagine the quality being any better.