Abu Garcia 7000 vs 9000BG vs Penn 320GT

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by JFD444, Jul 7, 2006.

1. JFD444

JFD444 New Member

State:
    FL
    I can purchase a new ABU Garcia 7000 ($99), Abu Garcia 9000BG($105) or Penn 320GT($92) and was wondering if anyone has an opinion on which would be best for heavy catfishing and saltwater use. Casting distance is important since I fish from the shore. I plan on using 25# mono on it and pairing it up with a 7' M Ugly Stick Tiger rod (rated 10-50 lb). I already own a few other Abu reels, which I love, but don't have any experience with the heavier duty reels. Thanks, James.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

For casting distance i like the Abu's but almost all of the guys that i go saltwater fishing with have Penn squiders and #9's and they can cast em way on out but no futher than me and my 7000. When I pull out my Diawa Sealine 5050's they get real quite because they know it's over I can outcast them all but those are spinning reels no worries about backlash and I know i can't cast out 250 yards of line.

3. Mr. Rooster

Mr. Rooster New Member

State:
    Hurst, Texas
    For catfishing I would go with the 7000c3 or 6500's. I have a few abu's and they have never let me down. I will say this though, I lived in San Diego, Ca. for 27 years and did a lot of saltwater fishing with Penn jigmasters and once you get the hang of them they cast fine and are a very durable reel that can handle years of abuse. I used to go on countless sportfishing trips out there. Those reels are a workhorse. But for catfishing off the bank I would go with the ambassadeurs because they cast a little further and are also very durable. I think the abu's have a better drag system too.

Eric

4. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    Don't know if you ebay or not, but there is a guy selling (not auctioning) 7000 Big Game HS's for under $100. I don't know him or anything about the business, I just bookmarked it for later reference. I've been using a 7000 Big Game HS for a couple of months. I haven't hooked anything big yet, but it works flawlessly. I have no knowledge or experience with the other reels you mentioned. Doug the dinkslayer

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Penn 320 is a super reel, the casting distance would be just a little bit less than the 7000

6. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I do a lot of bank fishing and am running garcias 6500 and 7000 and have great distance casting with them.

A couple things to look at are
    1) if you are comfortable with garcia you might want to stick with them
    2) they eyes on the rod you are using the smaller the eyes the farther you will cast no matter what reel you have...
    3) if you can fiddle around with both reels at your local store that carries them... which one feels the best?

Hope this helps!!!

7. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    JFD444, if you're also planning on some saltwater fishing like you said, I would go with either the Abu BG 9000 or the Penn 320 GT2. I have the Penn reel and really like it alot. I got it for christmas and set it up with a Quantum Big Cat rod. Over the weekend I got a 7' Ugly Stick Tiger med.action rod on sale for $39, and I decided to match the 320GT2 with the Tiger rod. I really like this setup. I spooled the reel up with some 30 lb. Berkley Big Cat solar green mono yesterday and tied a 3 oz. sinker to do some casting. After I got the brake set to the sinker weight, I started casting. On the first cast, I got a good 50 -60 yard toss out of it. I know I could get another 50 to 60 out of it, but my yard is small and full of trees so I couldn't really sling it like I wanted to. To make the long story short, I would go with the Penn reel for overall performance and it looked really slick on that Tiger rod! Good luck with your choice!

8. JFD444

JFD444 New Member

State:
    FL
    Thanks for all the info. I was able to get the Abu Garcia 7000 for $78 so I went with it for now.