abu garcia 7000 users, lets hear your thoughts

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by flathunter, Dec 5, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have many abu reels including a 7000 ic3...And an older 7000c3.

I mainly use 6500's because of one thing, casting distance.

I need long cast to hit the holes I fish, and I can cast a 6500 at least 30 yds farther than I can a 7000.

I would like to use my 7000's more because they do hold more line, and have a little more cranking power.

Is this common to be able to cast 6500's farther?

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i own 6000 6500 6600 and i dont have a 7000 but a borrowed my friends c3 for a few days. and id have to agree 100% that the 7000s dont cast as well. i cant remember borrowing his red 7000 but he clames its a better reel overall. i myself feel that way about my 6000...there is just something about those red ones they even seem to catch more fish.:eek:oooh::wink:

BTW its ok to step away from the abus....the pflueger contender g30 will outcast the 7000 by at least 39.5yrds:wink::smile2:

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    if i could borrow my friends 7000c3 & 12' nite stick i could give you some comparason #s sence i know thats what your using.

4. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am in the same boat as you are. I bank fish with a regular 6500c3, a 6500c3 Pro Rocket and the 7000 Pro Rocket. I must admit I feel like the distance is better with the 6500's than the 7000. I would also love to have it the other way around, because after I cast the 6500, there doesn't seem to be too much line left on the spool. That is why I switched to #65 Power Pro. The 6500 Pro Rocket with the #65 Power Pro is a great set up for distance. I also believe the rod makes a big difference in the distance. Maybe if I put he 7500 on the rod I use with the 6500 it may work. All of my rods are 12', but with different lure ratings. I don't know the answer, but I do understand your situation. Good luck.

5. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I think that my 7000's cast better. Might be the amount of weight too you have on them try putting an oz more and see what happens.

6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I've got one 6500C3 with 12# mono on it, I can cast it farther and easier, than I can my sexy Daiwa Megaforce w/12#, same line,,that's made to send them out there..plus with the 6500, have a clicker if I need it..
    Love the 6500'sC3's Nice smooth reels, I have another with 30# mono on it, and it won't cast near as far, as easily.. so, it may be the type of line, it looks like. I usually cast those one handed, unless the bait is very large,
    I use 7000's a lot, but, I don't really try and cast very far I guess, about 40-50 yds is about all I need,mostly less,20-30 yds.., and they seem to do that OK. The rods do seem to make a difference, and if I need some distance, I kinda get a bit of momentum going and heave the bait out there!! I use 2 hands to get these out,,, I'm not in a boat so Can usually get a step or 2 into the action!! Mostly 7' rods. Yepper, toss everything right out into the snags!!!!:confused2: I fish river and canals mainly, and the "holes" are usually close to the bank. At least that's where I'm catching Flats,,channels, and a variety of bass species.

My go to distance unit is a Big spinning reel on a 11" rod, it'll get'm out there easier, but, don't need it much...

7. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    the 6500 does seem to throw 20-25# mono farther then a 7000....but you can't throw 40# mono very good with a 6500.....that's why I like my 7000's...I picked up a penn gt310 this summer and for $80 it can go toe to toe with the 7000 any day as far as line capacity and casting ablility, it's a lil slower reeling with more power, where the 7000 reels line in quicker.

8. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

When you bought the 7000.Did it come with a extra set of plastic weights, these should be smaller than the ones that are on the spool now, You can change them out, maybe even order some that are smaller than them.. you will see a big difference in the distance of your cast for sure.

My Morrum M7700-CL came with 3 difference sets and I swapped them and it made a BIG difference..My 7000iCS only had 1 set? Don't figure, because the smaller ones help alot IMHO:cool2: Hope you have a lighter set- give it a try and see if it a help ya Bro. .Kenny:wink:

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    what will happen if you take the plastic weights off and dont use them at all>

10. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I have the old 7000 C3's and I can throw them pretty far. They did come with two sets of weights, like Ken said it does make a difference. Plus getting the adjustments just right on both sides of the reel helps. I know alot of guys I fished with were surprised how far I could throw a 7000 with 30lb line on it. I use 10' catmax rods.

11. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You ever thought about tryin it with the levelwind removed?I know its a pain sometime when your retrieving but It will increase your casting distance with any reel

12. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I totally agree with the 310.I got 1 when I lived in Florida like 12 years ago and its still my favorite reel.Still works like its brand new.Just keep up on cleaning it in your down time:wink: I'd put it up against a 7000

13. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

I have took 2 off and got a even better casting distance,,I cannot see if it will do anything but help ,because they just slow down the spool on the cast.

You will have to adjust the mechanical brake to get the right flow of speed.You might even have to get a lot better at thumb control too!!/SPEED/.:smile2:

On removing the level-wind,, you sure can get the distance..Thats what HOT RODDING a reel is all about..I like my level-wind though.

14. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've got 2 Abu 7000ics Pro Rockets on 8' CatfishSafari Flathead rods, 40# Big Game mono, and 4oz no roll sinkers, and love them, in fact I'm ordering 2 more sets this winter. I boat fish, so casting distance isnt a problem with mine. They have worked flawlessly for my use.
    I can see the a 6500 outcasting a 7000, there is spool size, and line size difference between them. The 6500 having the smaller of the two should cast farther. Its like having a smaller, lighter flywheel on a motor, its going to spin up quicker.

15. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The plastic weights you guys are talking about, are they the plastic brakes? If not could you take a pic of what your talking about? Also, thanks for the help!

16. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    You can take the weights off and back off the knob till it has no drag and potentially cast farther if you can learn to control the backlash.I can do this with a 5000 and one handed rod but need some weights with longer rods and heavier weights.I usually have the endcap backed off till there is no drag there.Non levelwind reels will cast much farther than a levelwind.
    Jake

17. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    The plastic things are the centrigual brakes on the 7000 reels. You can use all four, just two, or none at all. Obviously, the less braking on the spool, the faster and more effortlessly is will spin.

There is a key design feature that's different on the 7000 VS 6000/6500 reels, and that's the design of the spool itself.

6000-6500 series: On these reels, the spool itself doesn't have any spindles, it slides onto a fixed shaft that goes through the bearings. This allows the spool to spin much more freely and with less effort because the spool is lighter. ABU used to market this as Ultracast Design.

On the 7000 series, the spool uses conventional construction where the spool has a spindle on each end that's a part of the spool itself, which then fits into the bearings or bushings in the sideplates. Thus the spool is heavier and requires more effort to get it spinning at high speed.

If you go to ABU's website and look at the schematics, you can see the differences.

The quality of the bearings has a HUGE impact on the ability of the reel to cast freely light weights, longs distances, etc. Lesser quality bearings/bushings don't reduce friction as well, so you lose distance.

The Rocket series of ABU reels have a better quality bearing in them, and that's one reason that they cost so much more.

That's also one reason that Shimano reels are so smooooth, that have better bearings than most other reels on the market. Shimano knows how critical smoothness in equipment is, as they don't only make fishing gear, they are one of the leading suppliers of HIGH quality shifters and bearing for racing bikes/mountain bikes, etc.

If you want more distance, there are a couple of things you can do.

First, give the reel a GOOD cleaning and degrease it. If you don't want to do it, send it to ABU or a repair ship and have them do it. Get all of the crud out of the reel and it'll run smoother.

Second, there's no reason to use grease on any part of the reel other than on the gearing itself. Keep the the grease away from the bearings.

Get some of the Quantum Hot Sauce or one of the other micro-thin super oils and SPARINGLY oil the bearings. Too much oil is just as bad, if not worse, than not enough oil. Too much oil will eventually end up on your line itself or in your drag system and it's not going to work correctly.

If you use the right line, rod, lubes, and such, the 7000 reels will outcast just about any other reel in their size class and price range. I'd take a 7000 over just about any Penn reel for castibility and range any day of the week.

If you put a 7000 on a 7ft rod and put 50lb Big Game on it, sorry, it's not going to be a casting machine. Take the same reel and put it on a 10ft rod with 17lb or 20lb mono (or thin braid), lube it right, and it's going to toss stuff over 100 yds with the right technique.

18. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Yep you got Bro.

GOOD POST ; CHRIS:wink:

19. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like my 7000s but but i also find that i cant cast them as far as i can my 6500s.I didnt know if i didnt have the spool adjusted or i needed more weight.

20. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Well I was about to post that I agree with the castability of the 6500 being much better, but as I read on I was surprised. I think I might give the whole removing breaks a shot myself.