Abu Garcia 7000 Pro Rocket on 7' Medium Heavy Ugly Stick Tiger rod-Good setup or not?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Johnny B, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    I have been shopping all day for a rod and reel and decided to go with a Abu Garcia 7000 Pro Rocket on a 7' Medium Heavy Ygly Stick Tiger rod strung with 100# Power Pro. Does this seem like a durable and money efficient combo?:confused2:

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Seems like it would last a few years for ya. that rod may not hold up good on a 7000 with 100 lb line.. I'll give ya luck though!:wink:

3. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Personally that seems like a lot of reel and line for that rod. For that rod you might consider the 6500. Or if you like the reel consider a bigger rod. Something like the American Nite Stick 10ft.

4. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    I love it .:cool2:it will double as a winch if you get stuck!:tounge_out: I have a 7000 on an eight foot glowstick

5. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I personally like a longer rod, but if you're happy with it that's all that counts. Stay safe and good luck with the new set up!!!:wink:

6. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    Yea I'm not too fond of ten foot rods I like the shorter ones plus when I go up north I can use them for musky fishing.

7. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Sounds like a good setup. I don't know that I'd go to 100# line but that's just me. I checked out the Tiger rods and looked at the Old and new styles. I bought the older with stainless guides that have no inserts. It looked like it was a lot more of a solid guide and nothing to come aparts. I've read that some have braided line grooving the tip guide and others saying not. That may be a hardness issue on some tips. I'll worry about that when and if the time comes. No big deal to replace the tip guide. I painted the rod section between the top three guides white for better night visability. mine has a Shimano Cardiff reel on it now but I'd like to mate it to an ABU 7000 series when I can afford to.

8. FlatheadDreaming

FlatheadDreaming New Member

State:
    Grain Valley
    All of my setups are ugly stick tiger rods with 7000i c3 reels i love them all and have had abused them like no other. I have caught many of flathead over 40lbs on them and a few 60lbers and handeled them just fine. they have a very sensitive tip and a strong backbone. I used to work on a deep sea boat out of texas and we would use them when we would use light tackle to catch sharks. I have seen med hev rods bring in 100-120lb blacktip and have never seen one break. Good investment! Thats why I have them! Also on size to get would depend on style of fishing you dont want a superlong rod when you are fishing out of a boat, these make awesome boat rods, i use 7footers.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  9. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That combo sounds good to me.

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Sounds like a great set up to me. Ya'll don't forget those m/h tiger rods are heavier action than a m/h Ugly cat rod ; )

You should be really happy with that.

-Jim-

11. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    Well guys I haven't been here for a while but the combo I bought is very nice! The only thing I dont like about it is the butt end of the rod is a little long for my likings but other than that it's great. And using 100# power pro is awesome...I break hooks instead of line and wouldn't recommend anything else. I can literally cast over 200 feet easily with my catfish pro rocket! Great reel wouldn't replace it with anything and for some who thought the tiger rods were a little light you could fight a whale with this thing! Good luck to all those who buy Abu Garcia;)