Abu Garcia 7000 fishing reel - How many models are there?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by BassMassey, May 1, 2006.

1. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I am getting ready to purchase a new set-up and I am going to buy a Garcia 7000, I was just wondering how many different models of the 7000 are made, and whats the differences.....?

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Im not sure about the deferences are but the 7000 is great i love my two 7000s you cant beat them for the big boys.Let us know which one you get.

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    I have four models of the 7000. 2 standard red models,1 green model that when i purchased it at a bait shop down in st. jo. missouri the fella told me he bought it off E-bay and it was only sold in Europe. dont know if he was telling the truth but its the only one I have ever seen, and then I have 2 7000C3s they might make moore but those are the only ones I know of. I like the 7000C3s the best they cost about $100 bucks at bass pro. bigcatman0816.

4. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Off the top of my head, the major differences you are going to find is in the bearings vs. bushings, gear ratio, and drag system.

An Abu 7000 would be a bushing model and the entry model, while a 7000C3 has 3 bearings and slightly higher in price.

With the Abu Big Game 7000 series you can get different gear ratios and lever drags, as well as a narrow spool version.

Other variations would be a no levelwind model or left hand models.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'll go along with Tulcat. Try an Abu Garcia BG HS 7000. I think they run you about a cool 150 to 160. But, they are good. Think that is a "Big Game High Speed" model. But, not for certain. Seeing as how I am a fisherman, I guess I could lie and tell you that what it is... matter of fact, that's what it is. Yep, I just now remembered. lol

6. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Go ahead and cough up a little more money and get a Quantum Cabo. They are pricy but the difference between it and a 7000 is daylight and dark! Super smooth reel and a comfortable handle makes easy work of reeling in them bigguns.........

7. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I think I am going to go with the Garcia 7000 C3.....on a cat maxx 12' rod...............I have to wait until the end of the month though, because I took a buddy from school a couple of weeks ago, and i caught a 12# blue...and now he is hooked. He has never catfished with anything but worms and livers.....i took him out, caught a couple dozen bream for bait, and now he wants me to take him to bass pro at the end of the month.....so I am going to hold out and wait until I go with him, even though i live about 5 miles from bass pro........

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Aaron, don't run into anything. Check around. Bass Pro is kinda pricey and you can get the same reel at wal-mart cheaper.

9. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    I been thinking of getting a 7000 & was curious why the 7000's at walmart were thirty bucks cheaper. The official response i got from abu was that the 7000 c3 had the three bearings like tulcat mentioned. What exactly does that mean to me, & is it worth shelling out the extra dough? I was also curious why abu doesnt advertise there walmart brands on the site....

10. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    spend a few more for a calcutta or a penn 320gti. i have all 3 and the penn i bought 2 wks ago and i out cast my 7000 or the shimano. i just love that penn i have 25lb test on it.

11. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I like my 7000 real well, dont know what the differences are in them, but i have the C3 model

12. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    isnt it just how many bearings they have in them, c3 has 3... so on

13. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I've got an Abu 7000 that my dad bought in 1983. I don't know exactly what model it is, but it's red and it cost him about $150 back then. I can still cast that sucker a country mile, and it's never had a single hiccup in performance. I've literally used that reel since I was 8 years old (the first few years without dad's knowledge.) I brown down and put it on a new rod about a week ago. The original rod that it was on was finally worn out, my dad built that last rod.

Anyhow, thought I might give you an idea of the type of longevity you can expect from whichever 7000 you pick. Oh yeah, I also only put the red 7000 on the heaviest rod that I own..... it's kinda my no-nonsense/big cat rig. It now sits on a 10' Ugly Stick.

Jerrod

14. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    know of any posts that i can get more info about the bushings models vs the ones with bearings. I would like to get a better understanding of the differences..

15. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Reading here makes me wonder about the bearings verses bushings also. I have reels that are 35 years old with bushings and all I have ever done to them is put a drop of oil on the bushings (3 in 1 oil) and the level wind system, and never had one break yet. I sure hope the C3's are just as good. I do it once in the spring and once in the fall before putting them away for the winter.

16. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I have bad news. Your other two reels are broken if a gti can cast better than them.

17. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    I wouldnt buy from wal-mart they have things specially made for them so they can sell it cheap.

18. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    kurt is a wise man.

19. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    A bearing is just what the name implies.It bears the load.A bushing is one of the oldest and most simple of all the bearings for rotating loads.Bushings can be made of many things.I personally have made them of Oak wood for old farm implements,and heated and poured Babbitt bearings for heavy equipment and old engines.Most of these type bearings in reels are small and tend to be made of brass or bronze alloys,or the new plastics such as Nylon and Teflon.They are usually sturdy and will take use and abuse that would destroy other types of bearings.The material that they are made of stands up to water and corrosive applications well without having to be sealed from them.Many have a low coefficient of friction (they are slick).The reel manufactures new term for BEARING seems to mean ball or roller bearings.These bearings work better at higher speeds,which eases casting or reeling.These type bearings have to be kept clean and lubricated more so than bushings.Many use seals to accomplish this.Whether they will last longer remains to be seen.If you will notice,many of the old reel manufactures still use bushings,or a combination of bushings and ball bearings for there heavy duty saltwater reels of different types.Roller bearings are mostly used in reels for anti reverse use.The OLD REELS that are still around used bushings.The name "BEARING" and the bearing count is being used to sell reels.From nuclear submarines to modern chemical plants,I have gone to school on and worked with bearings for over 40 years.This is strictly my opinion from my experience as a mechanic.Hope I have been of some help.peewee-williams

20. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I'll start with wal-mart reels. I read a few years ago in the catfish- Insider from In-fisherman that wal mart needed a quality name reel to sell so they went to Abu and asked them to make some just for them. The only place you can buy those models is at wal mart. They had to be made of cheaper components than regular Abu's so wal mart could sell them so cheap. I.E bushings, and more plastic parts. If doug stange says its true I for one believe it. He hasn't lied to me yet. As for bushings vs bearings I have no clue, all my reels have bearings and I lube them twice a year. No problems yet and its been 6 or 7 years with my first twoo 7000's. The question about models gets me also. All mine are black 7000's the nomenclature on my oldest reels has worn off but I think they used to say 7000cl. On my two newest reels it also says 7000cl and has BIG GAME on the side plate. These reels were 199.00 at cabelas I found them on an overstock site for 119.00. They are a couple ounces hevier than my older ones. I have seen or heard of red,green silver and gold 7000's besides my black ones, and they are probablly all different so I can't be sure how many models they have.