Abu Garcia 7000 #3

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Catmaster, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I DID IT!:haha: :byebye: :surrender: :ah:

I finaly got the reel figured out. I can cast it pretty good now thanx to everyones great info. THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO HELPED ME! I cant wait to go out to the River to catch some monster flatties with it.

P.S. There is still one thing I cannot figure out. I can cast it about perfect but for some reason I cannot cast it over about 50-60 feet (not sure on the distance but it sounds right) Is there some trick that I have not learned on how to cast it as far as the reel can go or farther than I already can? TROUBLE SHOOT PLEASE! THANKS!

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    It could be the amount of reel drag you have set or the amount of wieght your trying to cast. Back off on the reel drag a little at a time you should be able to get further distances.

3. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    it should cast a mile!I use 3 ounces of weight that seems cover a variety of different situations you might encounter while fishing.Hold the rod out in front of you and push the button as if you were going to cast-the weight should slowly go to the ground without any backlash once it hits the ground.You must adjust the dial on the side of the reel to fine tune this process.If you do this your casting should improve.Your instruction manual shoud include details on this also.GOOD LUCK!

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Adjust the spool tension with the knob on the left hand side of the reel. Like everyone said, adjust it till the spool stops when the weight hits the ground. I then back mine off about an 1/8 of an more.

When you cast, make sure you release at around 11:00 and don't let your rod dip down below that. I generally will follow my bait with my rod tip so the line is flowing off of the reel and the rod evenly with the elevation of my bait off of the water. Seems to work for me. With 3 to 4 ounce sinkers, I'll generally throw about half or more of the line off of it with 12 to 14 foot rods.

Good luck:cool2:

5. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas
    You are in the right track. Just keep practicing. Soon you will be able to whip that thing as hard as you can without worrying about backlashes and you'll hit the moon. LOL!!

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I put the ceramic bearings in my 7000 and the rocket fuel oil. Now I have to use a lighter weight or I'll have to get a fishing license for the next state over!:big_smile: