Abu Garcia 6600's

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by FATFLATTIE, Jan 24, 2008.

1. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I just wanted to let anyone know that if you're thinking about getting one of these reels don't. I recently bought two of them b/c I was too stupid to look and see that they weren't 6000's. I was impressed at first by the looks and feel of them. However, after only using them twice and not even catching a fish on them one of the reels took a dump. I guess one of the cheap plastic gears they put in that particular model(which is made in China) broke. I called Abu and they said they'd fix it for free, but I don't think I want it at all. I've caught two fish on the other one and it seems to work fine but I just don't want to take the risk of it failing me at the most inoppurtune moment (when a big fish is on). I am hoping that I can just get them to replace them with 6000's which are a fine reel. Just wanted to give everyone the heads up.

2. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    :angry: china:angry: CHINA:angry: C H I N A :angry: what a shame !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Thanks man I have been watching them on e-bay. I about bought one yesterday but was unsure, so thanks again.

4. yellowlabman45

yellowlabman45 New Member

State:
    arkansas
    are yall talking about the 6600 rocket

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    That's weird. I've got 4 6600CB's that I bought at Cabela's that I've beat the snot out of for the last 2 years and they've held up great and took some nice fish. I had a problem with the level wind on one, but it was just a small ding in the worm gear that I fixed in about 3 minutes. The gears in mine are brass, although the levelwind gears are plastic. Maybe their quality has slipped in the last year or so. Also, I read on here that the "CB" was a designator for reels sold only at Cabela's, so maybe the 6600CBs are better than the straight 6600s. Thanks for the heads up!

Branden

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    These are the ones that are sold at Walmart. I dunno if that makes any difference. They're a 6600BCX. They're red and have a thumb bar instead of the button on the side of the reel. They cast very well, but when the guts of a reel fall apart after two trips, that's not a good sign.

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yeah, that's a bad deal, I'm sorry to hear it. Mine are pretty similar, red with the thumb bar instead of the side button, but I've had mine apart a few times to clean them and replace the stock drag washers with carbon fiber ones and they're built solid. Oh, well, maybe some genius in finance figured a way to increase profit margin by using crappy parts:sad2: Or (hopefully) the guy assembling yours was hung over that day at the factory:smile2:

8. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    ya sad thing is if its made in china probably some 11 year old girl working for 10 cents a hour :angry: i truely hate to hear that i love abu garcia hope not all of them gonna be made in china criiiiiiiiiiiiiipes :embarassed:. can we please have a moment of silence and pray to the fishing gods on this 1. H E L P

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've converted 3 of mine, the ones I actually use, to the carbontex drags. Man what a difference that makes - turns the 6xxx series into truly river worthy reels.

10. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Wes,
    I was wondering how those new 6600's would perform. Ive also noticed on ebay that the prices of the sweden made 6000's have went up quite a bit. There almost bringing new price. So if you would consider one off ebay, you better start looking because I think the price will continue to go up. rspd507

11. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    We could be lucky and Wal-Mart has bullied them so far on pricing that to keep the reels in the stores Abu has made a different version just for WM. If they make the "CB" for Cabela's the CBX makes me wonder about the ones you got, Flattie. Maybe the X stands for "Xtremely poorly built":smile2:

12. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Well, I just took the thing completely apart and found nothing out of the ordinary. No damaged gears, no broken thingamajigges(I'm reel stupid, pun completely intended). I dunno. After I put it back together it seems smoother than before I took it apart. Maybe I fixed it:confused2: I guess that I'll just have to take it fishing and bring an extra rod just in case, that's about the only way I'm gonna find out if it's really as bad as I thought it was. Pretty odd considering how bad it was acting on the river the other day.

13. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Thanks Wes, Ross is right the 6000 are going up on ebay I've been following them also. Its a shame Abu Garcia gave into walmart. I did notice the ones walmart is putting out now are made in china. If you look at them close they aren't made as well as the 6000's.

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Shame Shame. The Regular 6000 is made in Sweden.

15. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I got a new 6600 rocket but it is made in sweden!! Gotta watch the box in the corner and on the bottom of the seat. Those are the places it tells where it is made at. I dont do china, tiawan or.........:smile2: I think those are copies of ABU'S. I seen a 7000I at the tackle show last weekend that was made in china and one that said sweden, i could tell the difference in quality pretty easy. Sorry for your loss man:sad2:

16. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've been looking every time I go into a Walmart for the last few months, and I've yet to find a 5xxx or 6xxx reel there that was made in China. I've been hearing about the Chinese Abu's in Walmart for over a year now, but have to wonder where they hide them?

Some of the 7000, the Big Game 9000 + 10000, and some specialty models are made in China now, but Walmart, at least in this part of the country, does not stock any of those.

17. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I had two and still have one:wink: of the 6600c4's. It's the blue reel and It so far has been a dandy. I've seen the red 6600's but have never used one. Sorry to here about your troubles and thanks for the heads up with that reel.

18. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I looked around for awhile last night on line for the 6600BCX model Wes was talking about and did see some posts on a striper board talking about how Abu labelled that reel as "Swedish Engineered", which means designed in Sweden, made in China:wink:

I didn't see any real negative comments other than some people didn't like the new look of the reel. I'm neither here nor there on made in China, if I tried to not buy/use anything made there I couldn't drive my car (Chinese parts), use my appliances, etc. As long as something is built well, I'm happy.

Wes, I was thinking about this for awhile, not sure what problem you had with your reels specifically, but if you bank fish and inadvertently got some sand or other debris in your level-wind shaft, it would cause all kinds of problems with casting and retrieval. Just made me curious when you said after dissasembly/reassembly it seems a lot smoother. The level wind has to move when you reel in and/or cast, so if it's jammed or sticking, it will cause all kinds of problems. Reason I key in on it is that in taking mine apart for yearly cleaning, I don't find much if any dirt/debris inside the reel. The only moving parts that are really exposed to getting junk in them is the level wind. And from what I read last night, the level-wind on your model reel is a new design from what was on the regular 6600 series reels. Not saying it's better or worse since I haven't used or seen it, just that it's new. Sorry for typing a novel, but all I use are Abus and I'm curious to see if there has been a decline in quality. Take it easy!

Branden

19. Massive Cat

Massive Cat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Were can you go to get parts for a Abu-Garcia?

20. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I have a blue 5600c4, made in Sweden and it is a fine reel.

I've heard alot of bad stuff on Walmart branded Abu's and the one's not made in Sweden. You get what you pay for in this situation.

Don't hesitate to step up and get a good Abu though. Do a little price shopping, like at Catfish Connection, and throw in the $15 mfr. rebate, and you can pick one up at a pretty good price.