Abu Garcia 6600D5

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by stressedcat, Oct 21, 2006.

1. stressedcat

stressedcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    Hey gang:

Anybody care to comment on this reel. Just bought one on ebay and it's brand new w/o box or papers. Got it for a good price but have heard several neg. comments but ya'll are the ones I trust!

Help Please

Kirk:big_smile:

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've got one. The reel has a good drag, caught several 8 and 9 pounders on it and it never failed. I don't like the cast control, it doesn't seem to want to set right for weights over 1/2 oz. The thumb bar will stick if it gets sand or grit in it. Make sure to keep it clean and go to an auto parts house to get some silcone spray to hit the slide area now and then. The clearance between the bar sides and the reel housing is fairly close, so the its easy to get grit in it. That said, I used for about a year before having that problem. Interestingly, it started the day after a salesman at Academy told me that that was the one thing he didn't like about the reel. I think he put a hex on the reel. The reel does cast well and has been no problem other than setting the cast control to weights over 1/2 oz and the sticking thumbar.

This was the first baitcaster I bought when I started back fishing. I'd little experience with them. But, when I bought the next, I chose the Abu 5600C4, a much better and less expensive reel. A few weeks ago, I bought another baitcaster, this one a 6500 C3. I will not buy another D5 reel, the old 5000/6000 series is much better.

3. stressedcat

stressedcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    Jerry;

Thanks so much for the info on this reel. The guy I bought it from said he wouls trade even up for a 6500 C3 if I didn't like it, so now I can send it back with confidence.

Thanks Again

Kirk

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I tried one, but had casting problems. The disengaging feature of the level wind causes the line to come off the spool at a sharp angle to the line guide vs what happens with a regular synchronized level wind. With braid it would bind and jerk, and was just terrible. It was better with mono, but it still didn’t seem to cast as well as my other Abu 6xxx reels.

I’ve got a smaller Abu, a 3600, with the disengaging feature, and it works fine on that one because of the narrow spool. I think it’s a poor design for the bigger reels, though.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Don't know what you paid for the 6600 D5, but the retail price is higher than for the 6500c3. Last I looked, the 6600 was about $100 retail. I paid about $65 for my 6500 at Academy. Of course, I got the D5 for $55, Academy was closing them out, couldn't sell them. The line capacity on the D5 is 245 12 lb, on the 6500, 245 14 lb.

6. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    i have 2 of these reels matched with ugly stick 6'6" rods, i love the reel, has never let me down, have caught blue's up to 18 lbs on these reels, not sure how they would handle bigger cats, but i'd be willing to try.

Good luck,
    Mike