Abu Garcia 6600AB

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by katsandsuds, Sep 19, 2008.

1. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I found a good deal on a 6600AB (anti-backlash) on ebay so I decided to check it out. When it arrived, there is a plate on top across the spool that lifts up with two small metal bars. I am unsure if the line should be threaded across these bars for the AB feature or not. No paperwork.

Has anybody ever used these reels, and can you explain how it should be rigged? For now, I am simply running it through the level-wind as normal and using it as a standard 6600. I read a post awhile back that bragged on the anti-backlash feature, but I am unable to find it now.

I will send a review once I learn how to use the features. One thing so far is there is no bait clicker, which I knew upfront, for those that feel this is a must have.

2. Guido

Guido New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Abu Garcia
    Pure Fishing USA
    1900 18th Street
    Spirit Lake, IA 51360
    Tel: 1.800.228.4272
    Email: abugarcia@purefishing.com

Nothing beats practice and good instruction. These reels will put you closer to control, but you should also consider the below basic factors:

TENSION TO THE SPOOL WITH THE THUMB.
    The most important and oldest method to control the spool speed. Practice makes perfect and there is no substitute for this.
    Cast weight. Increasing in practice the sinker weight within your rod limit will provide more control.

LINE LEVEL OF THE SPOOL.
    Fill the reel below the limit if you find the reel too “racy”. This will give you less distance but more control.

LINE DIAMETER
    Using thicker line will naturally brake a reel making it harder to backlash and in the event of an over run, it will make untangling line easier.

OIL TYPE IN THE BEARINGS
    These reels come with TG's Rocket Fuel reel oils and these are fast oils that will be helpful later. You can gain more control of the reel by initially oiling the bearings with 3-in-1.

TENSION TO THE SPOOL WITH THE SIDE KNOBS. Of all breaking methods this is the less efficient, and you have other variable forms of braking. Use the side knobs to center the spool and leave it “floating” with a barely discernible side movement of the spool.

CENTRIFUGAL BRAKES.
    This is a simple but effective form of applying variable force to help brake the reel. Install all of them at the beginning and then step by step begin removing them.

MAGNETIC CONTROL.
    Use the highest setting and then begin experimenting with the other braking factors. You can try to get more distance right away by playing with the magnetic control, but it is recommended to first ease on the thumb pressure, increase the line level and lower the line diameter. This should get you more speed and prepare you to remove step by step the brake blocks until you are prepared to use the Rocket Fuel oil provided with these reels.

One last but important thing is that the longer the rod and the longer the drop to a certain point, the slower the motion needed to get the same distance and this gives you more control.

Attached Files:

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You do not run the line over those bars, just through the level wind like you have it.

4. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    If you want the anti backlash to work yes you run it over the bars. I have the 5600ab however I dont do it because It wont let you cast very far. I run it through normal. For the ab to work run it over the bars and through the guide and turn the switch to on and the flaper will come up. I dont think you will like it in ab mode either its for beginers that are just starting to use a baitcaster.

5. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro
    thanks crab. I will try to check it out next week when I get on the water. Just bought a boat and have been spending time working on it, so have not had much time to fish.

6. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    what is the difference in these two reels same gear ratio and hold same amount of line so are they basically the same reel or whats different in them sorry posted in wrong place