Abu Garcia 6600

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Cattracker16, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    Is the abu garcia 660 brute a decent reel? it has a huge handle and holds 245 yards of 14 # line, bait clicker am i missing anything as far as features? well i bought one for a 50 dallor bill and just wanted to know if it's any good. it's supposed to be rebuilt i dunno what that concists of but oh well i've spent 50 bucks on other stuff i shouldn't have. Also what rod would you put it on? med/heavy? or larger. Thanks in advance

Kenny

2. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i just got 2 new 6600's and one 6500 i put a white berkey big game m/h rod on each of them and 25# cajun line on them nice rigs IMO.

3. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    the rods where 19.99 @ walmart paid 85.00 for all 3 reels i got a steal so 145.00 for 3 rigs im happy :)

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've got the new C4 6600 on a MH Moyer Rod I love that set up. I jsut need a power handle for it, but I havent seen one that will match! It's a tough reel and I actually like the 6.3:1 gears in it.

5. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    mine are the 6600 CL rockets with the 6:3.1 gears also

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If your reel was factory rebuilt, it should have an "x" engraved on the foot where it is secured on the rod. Factory rebuilt reels are darn near the same as a brand new reel. If someone just replaced a pawl or worm gear, they could say it was rebuilt also, but there would not be a mark. Don't guess it matters any, if your happy with it. It it is an abu, it is sort of like the cadilac of reels...not the best but secure in a second or third place. You will enjoy it for many years if you just put oil on the worm gear once or twice a season.

7. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Well said. There are better more expensive reels out there, but for what us catfish guys need you can't beat an Abu. Tough as nails in my book!

8. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    well thanks for the info so far. I'm looking forward to testing it out on med heavy ugly stick.

9. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    Cattracker, I just did the exact same thing. I won a 6600 Brute with the X scratched on the foot from an auction. I loaded it up with Cajun #20 and mounted it on a 8' 2 piece Zebco Rhinorod. With a 3 ounce weight the thing casts a mile! I haven't taken the covers off to see how many bearings, in fact I was told it only had bushings. Still, I am quite pleased with the performance.
    One thing has me curious, where do these reels come from that they need to be reconditioned, and how do they end up for sale. My reel has a tiny scratch on it, otherwise it looks new.
    Good luck with your new reel, I hope you catch a lot of fish with it. Doug

10. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I believe you got a good deal. I would love to have one. Good luck and hope you catch a big-un on it.

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe these reels are found at estate sales or other auctions. The guy may send them to the factory for rebuild before selling them, as it will increase his amount of profits...he gets more for the reel. Others are people unhappy with their purchase and sends them in under warranty and the factory replaces the reel. The reel with the "x" is just about as good as the once coming off the shelf at Wal-mart, Bass Pro, Academy, or wherever. The benefit to the sportsmen is that the reel is cheaper.

12. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Ive recently swapped over my reels to the 7000 series by abu Garcia and have been really pleased with the results so far. Plenty of muscle for 50 lb plus fish and throws a mile.....really smooth. I spool them with 30 lb Cajun Lightning and top it off with a 12 to 18 inch 50 lb test mono leader (also Cajun Lightning). These reels sell for about 100 bucks but I found them at our local wal-mart at a closeout for 65 bucks. I wish Id have bought several more.

13. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    Just bought two on ebay for 35 bucks a piece. One was brand new the other was a floor display model at a tackle shop. I love the 6000 series reels, wanna try the 7000 series too. I use the 6 series for salmon fishing as well and love it. I don't think you can go wrong for the price to be honest, and for what you can find them laying around for on ebay and closeout deals like the Wal Mart guy mentioned.....silly not to buy them up.