Abu Garcia 6600 / Repair

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by ThaWstSide, Jul 20, 2009.

1. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Ok folks, I have a Abu Garcia 6600 that the bait clicker stopped working on. Can anybody tell me how difficult this is to fix? I have fished with it about half of a year, and last night I tried to turn the clicker on and the "slider" moved into place to turn it on but when I pushed the button on the reel the line just kept coming out like I never turned it on, there is no clicking or anything.

Please give me some insight here...

2. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    After going thru the schematic before breaking the reel down, can anybody tell me which part in particular usually fails when the clicker stops working?, any idea why?

3. Promaxx

Promaxx New Member

State:
    maryland
    It might have just came out take the side plate off BTW your not supposed to turn clicker on when ur casting only after u cast

4. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Well, I have only casted 1 time with the clicker on and it was when I first got it. I was checking everything before I casted and turned it on and not realizing i left it on. Since then, I turn it off until I get the line in the water, and everything settled, then before I walk away from my pole, I turn it on and push the button in.

Other than that, the reel isnt but about a 6-7 months old, and kept cleaned on the outside, and taken care of when not in use.

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Jim for some resen the clicker is the week link on thoes reels i had one never had a min trouble out of it and yes i would buy anuther but the clicker is the mane complaint i hear about these reels

6. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    It probly just came loose, some of those things have to be manually {bent} adjusted to work properly.

7. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    ok, I just took the end cap off of my baitcaster... i was taking a look at the few pieces for the clicker, and then I noticed stuck in the cap in the grease was a small silver v shaped bar, and after looking at the spring in the clicker mechanism that it actually broke off. So, I am seeking a new spring for the clicker!

So far very simpleand easy, now just hoping it dont cost me a ar and leg to fix with the shipping. No matter what, my fishing tackle gets fixed regardless!

8. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Looking for someplace inside the U.S. that would sell the parts for the Abu Garcia 6600 BCX reels. I am needing to get the part replaced this week, and coming from Canada it isnt always guaranteed to get here!

I have the part number, 1124769 - clicker spring

Please Advise...

Thanks!

9. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Here's a complete assembly: http://cgi.ebay.com/ABU-GARCIA-AMBA...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1205|293:1|294:50
    Don't know that you would get it this week but even the Buy Now and shipping only comes to $11.00.
    I just bought one myself off ebay to put in a 5601CB reel.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  10. 2quikmotorwerks

2quikmotorwerks New Member

State:
    murda valley CA
    http://www.castawaylakes.com/AbuGarciaClickers.html

11. 2quikmotorwerks

2quikmotorwerks New Member

State:
    murda valley CA
    also hit up mikes reel repair

12. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Ok, so I just order 1 spring from a supplier in Texas, and 2 from a supplier in Canada. I am just trying to make sure I get one by Friday, we will see.

I just know I am not going to be sitting on the bank any longer and my clicker break and not be able to fix it!

If anybody else needs 1 in a pinch, just look me up.

The model reel is the 6600 BCX, yes, I bought one of the low end retail reels. I was desperate to try it out...

And NO, I dont have any complaints about it, except I have to wait at least 2 - 3 days for a part!

13. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Glad to hear you are getting what you beed to fix the reel. There's nothing wrong with buying anything you want. People have different finacial situations and thoughts. Thus there is a wi de range of models and prices. The mai n thing is that you are happy with what you have.
    Things breaking sucks but most of us have enought stuff that we would just grab another rig until a broken one was fixed. I never go fishing with only one rod. If I can take my wagon I might take three with me and with the boat I've had five or six.
    Good luck with your reel.

14. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Glad you found your part. Here is another alternative:
    In USA:
    Abu Garcia
    Pure Fishing USA
    1900 18th Street
    Spirit Lake, IA 51360
    Tel: 1.800.228.4272
    Email: abugarcia@purefishing.com

15. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Ok, so all was good with this reel after fixing the broken clicker spring... However, now it has little casting distance whatsoever! I have loosened the casting/spool knob to almost falling off, I have backed the drag down a bit, the clicker is off, the line isnt "nested" on the spool... Any suggestions?, I have a 2 ounce no roll sinker, and a shad head on, and it casts maybe 15 yards?

What do ya'll think?

16. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    If you release the spool does your sinker drop to the floor or ground? Sounds like something is binding up. I'd check to make sure you got the clicker pieces in correctly and have the sideplate on correctly. if you spool slid out of place, it's possible that the brake pins (handle side) did not go back into the brake opening. If any of the pins got wedged that would prevent spool turning. If you didn't have a casting problem before then it is more than likely that something didn't go back together correctly.

17. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Drag will have nothing to do with casting. The spool is disconnected from the drag system when in freespool. The only things moving during a cast is the spool and the levelwind system.

Clean the bearings and levelwind really good, and lube up the levelwind, and maybe a drop of oil in the bearings. Might want to look at some new bearings also.

Also make sure there is nothing binding in the spool or levelwind and that the brake weights aren't jammed against the sideplate.