abu garcia 6600 BCX

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by gamaCatsu, Dec 31, 2009.

1. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    i haven't posted in a few months... been in the woods and away from the water. :wink: anyways, i went to bass pro today and picked up 2 7ft M-H action ugly stick rods and the abu garcia 6600 bcx. my total was 194.00 for both the rods and reels. so $97.00 a piece, cant beat it in my book. i used the 5600bcx last summer and caught any an every fish they came up against. as well as my PB carp of 20.6lbs... you can find these reels at walmart and bass pro. for $59.00 . Reels are very similar, only diff between the 5600 and 6600 is the bait clicker.they use 5:3:1 gears,and have 4 ball bearings,6600 is a little more beefy.
    and they have the Anti-Distortion Spool that won't torque under a heavy load. so far so good, reel casts smooth and ive had no problems with it. heres a few pictures, thought id share with you guys

from left to right is the bcx 6600.... middle picute is the 5600bcx on the left compared to my new 6600bcx on the right. as well as the far right picture of the 2 new rods.

thanks again guys and i really recomend these reels for the money!

Attached Files:

2. festus

festus New Member

Good thread, Shane. Some won't buy the BCXs simply because they're made in China and some of the more expensive Abus are made in Sweden. I looked at some Fin-Nor's a few days ago and noticed they are also made in China. I talked to a fellow down on the river the other day who had one of the 6600 BCXs fishing for stripers and he likes his.

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i had one and i loved mine

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Shane what line are you using on those i like the looks of it

5. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Nice setups, and I love how the colors mesh between rods, reels and line, I love to do that myself.

6. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    These reels work ok for most fishing but we have had some problems with them. Catfish64 has one and he had a problem with the baitclicker not engaging and engaging at times. They do cast good but there is more plastic on them than a regular 6500 or a c3. I dont think they are made as well and would not rely on them for heavy fish. For normal fishing they were ok and a good price for the money.

7. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    not a bad way to spend 200 dollars, definitely looks loke good setups, now go catch your pb on em

8. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I"d say that line is 20 to 30lbs Solar Green Berkley Big Cat or Big Game Mono.Just a guess.

9. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Yea ithose look nice...I was goint to get one on a white ugly stick catfish but i think im going with the abu 6000 since it is made in sweden and it is $50 at a place i think called randyssportinggoods or something like that...nice $200 right there id say

10. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    good luck with them I had bad luck with one of the 6600 bcx it come apart while casting I won't own another one

11. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC

Dallas the line i use is called offshore angler you can find it at bass pro in the saltwater section. its $10.00 for 1/4lb spool. ive used alot of diff lines. and compared to berkley big cat, i like it alot more, very tough line... i have no problems fishing it in rocky places. i have 15lb lines on my 5600bcx and 20lb on my 6600's.

as for the bcx reels made in china,
    to each his on opinion about these reels, i have had great luck with them i guess you could say, no problems yet and as i said ive landed every fish ive came across. headed to bass pro tmrw to grab another to make my set of 3!.
    this was a quick review about the setups i have. i guess the only way u guys will ever know, is if you pick one up! my 5600's are still goin strong, i have deff got my moneys worth outta them. i cant wait to land a new PB with these bad boys!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  12. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    The 6000 $55 is a much better reel.On a 7ft Sturdy Stick $19.Total $74. Cant beat that deal.

13. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    think i will get a spool of that line and give it a try thanks

14. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    They sell it on bps web site if you dont have a saltwater isle..it is decent line..I have used the hi-vis as main and the clead for leaders...I liked it but i like braid better...it is $4.99 for a 1/4 lb spool and $9.99 for a 1/2 lb spool on Basspro.com

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  15. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    i own 5 of the 6600BCX reels i have had them for a year now and never had any problems so far yet. i even landed a 25 pound flat on one of them and there is no problems with it! i have 3 of them paired on 8ft M/H ol mr whiskers catfish rods. got them for 10 bucks a pop!!! so 60 for the reel and 10 for the pole 70$ setup so for all 3 of them 210 bucks. a deal you just cant pass up

16. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    I'm glad you're having good luck with them; mine broke during casting after a few trips, but the good thing was I still had the Wal-Mart receipt. They're a good deal if they don't break; some folks get a good one. My friend in Florida has one he loves, but I'll never own another one unless a great deal comes along. I hope yours lasts a long time.

17. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I've got to and I bought them by accident. I just thought they were 6000's and picked them up by mistake. I won't ever do that again. Those reels have not impressed me. After about the first or second trip neither would engage unless you manually push the button back up and you can tell by listening to them there is a lot of plastic in there. I hope they last for you but no more than I use mine (least used reels out of all of my cat stuff, maybe 1 in 4 trips) they just haven't held up. I'd be kind of afraid to hook a really nice fish on one.

18. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    I use the same line also the offshore line and have a bcx 6600 to and have had no problems with it and have had it for a year yeah it might be made in china but guess what i bought a abu 7000 and guess where its made yup china kinda pissed me off but its a great reel also i just thought the high end ones where made in switzerland oh well!

19. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    You mean sweden??lol

20. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    sweden? haha china FTW!!! sweden made = to expensive for me! some people like them some dont, i love mine! i just went today and bought 2 more bcx6600 and 7ftm/h ugly sticks! $97 piece, this makes 4! im done!! haha next reel i buy will be something made to catch godzilla! or atleast let me fish with whole chickens or hams! lmao the 200lb fish threads got me goin!!!!:angry: i cannot wait for warm weather!