Abu Garcia 6600 BCX upgrades

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by rcbbracing, Oct 11, 2009.

1. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have an old abu garcia bcx thats been with me through thick and thin and when i can never catch a flat head this ole reel always supplies me with a decent channel cat. She almost has sentimental value to me if that makes sence. I know of a bunch of aftermarket upgrades...smoother drags...ceramic bearings...etc. I didnt know if anyone had ever heard of anything like this for for ugly duckling of the abu garcia lineup. I thought since she has produced such nice fish for me this year ide get er all cleaned up and maybe rebuilt and thought maybe some new bearings or something should be in order for all the more expensive this is for other models...thanks for any answers in advance, i know very little about the bcx's...

2. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    From what I understand, the BCX's are the same measurements as the other Ambassaduers. All of the upgrades should work.

After doing the upgrades, the BCX shouldn't be that bad at all. I think that's where they save some money on it. That and the fact that it's made in china.

3. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    ah heck keep it the same. its a nice reel! dont wanna mess up the channel catcher!

4. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    THANKS guys...flootie im pretty sure i wanna change some stuff...i just know if i keep using that im gonna screw up and hook a 50lber...I dont think the bcx would handle it very well...but if i changed some stuff internally it would be more than fine...it was just an idea...not a set it stone choice tho...guess we will see

5. Burrr77

Burrr77 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've got a 6600 BCX and stripped the darn plastic gear that runs the level wind, I found a place to get a replacement part, so I should have it up and running soon. This winter I think i'm gonna find metal gears to replace the plastic ones if not i'll have some one make em. It's a nice reel just needs to be a lil tougher!!