Abu Garcia 6500tccf - Catfish Engraved

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Katmaster Jr., Aug 18, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Does anyone here have this reel? I just ordered one, get it for my birthday which is soon, and can't wait to use it. Is it really any different then the regular Abu 6500? Any info on it would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Might Be Wrong But I Think it Is A "Special" Edition Due To The Engraving. It Gives The Supplier more To Offer W/O Really Having To Make Drastic Changes:roll_eyes:

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yes, I know it has the engraving of a catfish on it, which is pretty cool. But I was wondering if the performance of the reel is any different? I know it has a "Power Handle" on it.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have two of those reels Zakk, they are really just about the same as a regular 6500,, but they do have one extra bearing, and a power handle..I cant tell any diffrence in them when it comes to casting etc, but they are nice reels.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks for the info Jack. I'm going to put mine on a Ugly Cat rod, that should be a pretty good set-up?

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Oh yes, that will make for a great set-up for sure.

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Ok, I figured it probably would. I know it will be really great for Channel Cats, and hopefully will be great for Blue Cats too.

Thanks.

8. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I also have 2 of the "Trophy Series" so I have the one with the Catfish and power handle and also the Carp model which is just as nice just without the power handle, I love them both and highly recommend them!!
    On the Catfish reel I have the Big Cat 30 lb green mono and the carp one I have 17 lb Trilene XT and both cast just fine!

Salmonid

9. Riverjake

Riverjake New Member

State:
    Joplin MO
    Flathunter has it right on the money. Good reels, I put carbontex drag washers in mine as I have all my ABU's. You will be happy with it.

10. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    I've got four of them; two in use and two set aside for the boys that they will get in a few years. No problems so far and they are good looking reels. I've got mine hooked up to 7' Ugly Sticks. 80# Power Pro and 80# mono leaders. You can literally pull up a tree with that rig.

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Congrats on getting a new reel little buddy, hope ya catch some monsters with it.

12. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i believe those reels are out of the ambassadeur trophy collection. i have seen the catfish one. i have also seen the musky one. i think it was the musky, anyway. they are very nice looking reels. also, if i am not mistaking it has the same specifics as the plain 6500.

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Hey, thank you all for the input, y'all are making me even more anxious though!:tounge_out:

I've always used Penn reels, and then about a year ago I got a Abu 5000, 6000, and 7000. I have been very satisfied with all of them. But I still love the Penns also!

Thanks again.

Zakk

14. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Man, I got my Reel in the mail yesterday, it's really sweet.:cool2: Don't have the pole for it yet, but like I said, I'm pretty sure I'm going to match it up with an Ugly Stik Catfish rod. It's just the right size for Channel Cats, and looks like it would do good for Blue Cats too, probably going to put 20-25lb line on it.

15. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I put it on a new Ugly Stik Catfish Rod and it's a really great set-up. Didn't catch any on it yet, but it cast great, and is nice and smooth.

16. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm a little pi$$y about you getting one and me not having one. Congrats those are nice reels!

17. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    LOL, Just ask for one for your birthday? Or set aside some money that was supposed to be for grocery's. :lol:

18. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I am glad that you like the reel, Zakk. I knew you would. Make sure you post a pic of the first big cat you catch with it. Good luck!!

19. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks, I'll definitely be posting a picture somewhere when I catch a big cat on it.

20. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well I got a few pictures, they didn't come out good for some reason, it was hard to get the lighting right, anyway here are a few pics of the reel on an Ugly Cat rod, very nice.:big_smile:

Attached Files: