Abu Garcia 6500's

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Ehardman, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Ehardman

Ehardman New Member

State:
    LeRoy, KS (On the Neosho)
    Ok, I figured out which rod's I am going to be getting. I had the reels figured out too. Was going to go with the 6500CP (aka Catfish Pro Rocket) from Catfish Connection.
    But as I look at the catalog, their seem to be a lot of 6500's with differing price ranges (from $75 - $170). Is their a big difference in the different ones? I could go with the 6500TCCF (aka Green Cat) and save $30. So what say you?

2. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It depends on what you need from the reel. If you are looking for casting distance with the level wind, I would recommend any of the Pro Rockets. They have dual cast controls and are IMO the best casters. The Blue Yonder will give the max distance of all, but it has no level wind. If distance is no so critical, I would get the standard 6500c3. Some of the lower priced models have bushings in lieu of bearings. I think the reels with bearings are better. The Green Cat and Black Cat are also nice, but you are paying for the color and etching on the side. They are basically c3's or Pro Rockets. Good luck.

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I like the 6500 Chrome Rocket. Here's a hot tip! I was just on ebay and a reputable seller has 20 of them for sell new in the box for $120 + $15 shipping for a total of $135. That there is a great deal. Auction only lasts till tomorrow.

4. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I have 2 6500 C3's and I love both of them. I can get plenty of distance on my casts and they strong reels. I bought one new from a store in town and got one lightly used off Ebay for $35. I would suggest looking on Ebay for lightly used reels before buying a brand new one. There are a lot of good deals out there.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just make sure any abu you buy has the carbon matrix drag, it is much better than the old drag washers...Most of the new abu's have it.

6. ChadG

ChadG New Member

State:
    mo
    I would just get the green cat. I bought a blue cat last year from them and the power handle is much nicer than the standard handle on a regular 6500c3. They have a $15.00 rebate on them to so that would make it around $79.00. I may just have to get me another one now that I seen that.

7. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    whats the reel that cost 170? I dont think theres a huge difference in abus internally.

Abu chrome rocket is a nice reel though.

8. Ehardman

Ehardman New Member

State:
    :roll_eyes: The Chrome Rocket

9. Ehardman

Ehardman New Member

State:
    That is what I have been thinking.

Thanks

10. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    70plus is good enough. if its an abu chrome rocket that cost 170, i personally would go for other brands like avet sx at a little more, 170 is too high imho.

11. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I just bought the catfish pro (black and chrome) from c.c. you will not be disappointed, with the rebate its a good deal. You also get the power and paddle handle with that reel. Last year I bought the chrome rocket from c.c. a really nice reel. I can tell you from experience you'll be the envy with that reel, and well built.

12. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I dunno. I've been a big 6500 and 7000 fan for years. I've used, repaired, and built a bunch of them. Abu just put a new one out that I think I've gotta try, even though it's about 270.00. It's their Revo Toro. It's a low profile like the bass reel, 7 bearings and carbon matrix drags, but it holds more line than the 6000/6500 size reels, but less than the 7000. It ought to be a nifty little reel, just gotta get rid of some of the others to fund one, LOL!

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    The Toro has the Bait clicker also,,, good looking reels,